Battery Question...

SteveNix

Seaman
Out in the middle of the lake last weekend, and had to boost the ol boat to get her going. Battery just doesn't seem to hold a charge any more, so it's time for a new one.<br /><br />Because it's an inboard and has an alternator...do you guys recommend just a regular automotive battery...or a deep cycle. <br /><br />I dont run much off the battery other then the usual bilge/blower. as well as a stereo from time to time.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Battery Question...

Depends on which of the boats you are talking about.<br />That 4.3GXi requires a starting battery for starting. Using a deep cycle battery with the MPI engine MAY cause problems. The 165, well, if it cranks and starts, it's happy.<br />The deal with the MPI engines is the computer (aka ECM, ECU, whatever) has problems with voltage drops, and a deep cycle battery will have a bigger voltage drop than a starting battery because of the way they are designed.

SteveNix

Seaman

Well then deep cycle it is. (its for the 165. The battery is almost 7 years old. Definetly doesn't owe me anything)<br /><br />Thanks for the quick reply Don. Happy Boating!<br />Steve

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Don,<br /><br />My brother is about to buy a battery for his 2000 Volvo with fuel injection. I suggested he get a deep discharge for that. At what voltage do they start having problems? I am assuming you are worried about it during the starting process.