Anybody Have a Car With LED Taillights?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
And problems with incandescent trailer lights?

I had U-Haul install a tow hitch and trailer light wiring on my Mitsubishi Outlander. Today I bought a trailer, and the seller's magnetic trailer light set wouldn't operate at all on my car, though it worked fine when we plugged them into her Honda CR-V. Both cars have a standard 4-pin flat connector. My plug-in 4-pin circuit tester said everything was fine with my car wiring. The proper indicator light glows when I operate the lights and signals on the car.

I did some research and it appears that in some cases the taillight circuit(s) on an LED-equipped car don't supply enough current to 'fire' the incandescents on a trailer, and require some sort of power supply (wired to the car's battery) as part of the wiring harness.

I plan to take my car back to U-Haul next week, but was curious if anyone else had run into this issue.

Rentaltux

Seaman
Re: Anybody Have a Car With LED Taillights?

No problems here, sorry. I have leds on vehicle and incandescent on trailer and it works fine...

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You would need to measure the voltage at the plug in on the outlander. I think it is probably an issue with the ground on the new installation. Make sure the white wire on the newly installed wiring goes to the frame.

oldjeep

Admiral

I'd make sure that U-haul actually installed the correct isolater rather than just cobbling into the car wiring. I wouldn't let those monkeys touch a bicycle.

UncleWillie

Captain

... and require some sort of power supply (wired to the car's battery) as part of the wiring harness...

What you are referring to is a POWERED Converter.
A standard Converter uses the Tail/Turn/Brake Lamps to power the trailer.
A Powered Converter uses the Lamp voltage as a signal and uses a wire directly to the vehicle battery to power the trailer lamps.

But I would still think the LEDs just have a full power 12v applied to them.
If not, a fuse would likely blow!

JoLin

Vice Admiral

UPDATE - problem resolved, I think.

I'm still not exactly sure what the issue was (the U-Haul shop guy wasn't very articulate), but when I demonstrated my current portable lights on one of their trucks, the installer noted that they didn't light when he turned on the headlight/taillight switch (though they worked with turn signals and stop lights). According to him, that was the key that my lights weren't wired up internally in a way that the car wiring harness for my Mitsubishi was. He said if I plugged any of U-Haul's trailers or portable lights into the car, everything would work.

Soooo... I took a set of U-Haul's portable lights off the shelf, plugged them in, and everything worked fine. They cost me $30, but they're also much better built than the ones I had. One of these days I'll back my car up to a trailer that has permanently-installed lights on it and make sure it'll all work regardless of what I might be towing.

Still scratching my head, but at least I can tow my 'new' boat home tomorrow.