68 Johnaon 20hp Fuel Pump and Carb Questions

timmeraw

Petty Officer 1st Class
I picked up a 1968 Johnson FD-20M recently for a good price. Previous owner said it was his grandpa's and sat for many years. He replaced a bunch of stuff..... points, condensors, coils, fuel pump, carb kit etc. but said he could not get it to start. For the price I took the chance.

As soon as I got it home the first thing I noticed was the female fuel line connector was missing and the spring holding the shift lever was gone. Next I noticed that someone had reefed the throttle handle too far and it had jumped a tooth into/past WOT position and now into the flat spot on the gear with no teeth. Next pulled the cowl and see that the metal cover over the carb throat(with silencer or whatever in it) is missing.

Checked compression first and it was good----110-115 on both cyls.
Checked spark....good on both plug wires.
Hooked up fuel line directly to fuel pump and when I squeezed the ball it was leaking at the pump(more on that in a minute)
Placed it in a barrel and began the process of probably tearing my rotator cuff pulling on it. No start.
Checked the idle needle and it was about 2-3 turns out. Reset to a little over 1.
Squirted some premix in plug holes and she fired right up.

It ran decent at a high idle but was bucking and coughing like heck when I started to throttle down and would soon die a violent death.

Played with the idle setting and it would seem to get where I wanted it....ie RPM's would increase and level out so I slowed throttle but it again started bucking like it was too rich. Just could not get it correct. Suspect timing/synch out on cam follower setting. Manual says cam roller should be in between two marks before any advance begins on throttle. It starts to advance well before it gets to the two marks. There are adjustment screws under armature plate but I have set as far in as I can. Maybe it is not the issue. Other thoughts...I have also noticed that there are supposed to be two packing washers or whatever on the idle needle but I only found one on mine. I cleaned carb and checked adjusted float level and drop etc. Float is newer black composite and bowl gasket is brand new I see. One thing I don't see that I expected was a small clip holding the needle to the float arm....is there supposed to be one? Guess I will order a new carb kit. I am also wondering if the missing plate/silencer/cover on the carb would affect idle?

Now back to the fuel pump. I know that it is brand new as the guy gave me the oem box with the old parts pieces in it but I cannot stop the leak. I have disassembled and reassembled a few times and am wondering if I have all the pieces together properly. I fear that these fuel pump assembly's are not serviceable because I cannot find any detailed diagram of the pump internals and only find the following which is no help:
OMC fuelpump.jpg

Thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated. One last lingering question...how does the spring actually attach to the shifter arm?

Thanks,
Tim

timmeraw

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 68 Johnaon 20hp Fuel Pump and Carb Questions

***UPDATE*** I did just find a great explanation on rebuilding these fuel pumps:
http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Rebuilding_fuelpump.htm

I have the fuel pump issue fixed thanks to LeeRoy's ramblings....a great site full of info...especially this fuel pump rebuild.

It starts pretty easy even cold and runs well on fast idle....at this point the cam roller is in between the two marks on the plate. When I reduce throttle it immediately starts to buck and cough no matter what I do with the idle screw.

Am I correct in reading that the cam roller should be between the two marks before it starts to open the throttle on the carb? If so it is opening it way before that and hence the fast idle when in between. I'd like to sort this out first and then get onto looking into it being a carb issue.