A story of 2 brothers

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer
A friend has 2 nephews . Because he is getting older he has decided to make out his will.In his will one nephew who has been a good boy will receive,,one 1966 ford mustang convertible v8 , one 1973 mercury cougar XR7 convertible and one 2002 pontiac trans am convertible .( cars worth well over 50k) The other nephew who has been arrested once for breaking into cars and caused his parents trouble will receive....O,,,,,,. I hope it turns out ok and they dont end up hating or killing each other......

aspeck

Staff member
Re: A story of 2 brothers

I am hoping you didn't get cut out of the will, rivermouse!:p

emoney

Commander

Hopefully the "bad one" will become a 'Prodigal Son' and your friend will need to adjust the will. That's the best scenario.

southkogs

Staff member

Nephew 1 gets 3 very cool cars + Nephew 2 (deservedly) gets nuthin' but has built a skillset of breaking into cars ... anyone seeing what I'm seeing?

I'm with emoney, hope Nephew 2 gets his act together and the will gets adjusted. And if Nephew 1 needs a place to store one of those cars, let me know. I promise to make sure it gets driven a little and will keep it washed and waxed :)

sccatfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That or a very long court battle.

Yep. From what I remember in a legal class in college, it's not a good thing to completely leave an heir out of the will because it makes it easy for them to challenge it.

rivermouse

Yep. From what I remember in a legal class in college, it's not a good thing to completely leave an heir out of the will because it makes it easy for them to challenge it.
Im sure it includes his only child BUT I know from experience that a person can list an item and have it set up for that person to receive it free and clear as a gift. No lawyer can stop a legal gift given in the legal way.The bad thing is the bad nephew isnt going to know about the cars until he sees his brother driving them...too late then to change a will. I am older than my friend so his leaving me anything is unlikely...My friend said he has few deserving relatives and is divorced . His daughter has a history of drug use and making bad financial choices so he said he had no choice but to pretty much leave her out too. Its a pity, I told him to do what my rich uncle did . Even though there was a heard of family all wanting a little "something" he left 90% of his estate to his favorite college....

projo198

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can you share the contact info? Still good chance for me to become a close "friend of the family" and weasel my way into that Mustang!

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I have seen folks w " problems " who inherited large amounts of $$$ in wills and it NEVER made them better people. You would be suprised how fast someone w an addiction or just bad morals/judgement can go through unearned money, only to become destitute again once they've spent it at will. Maybe he will mature and become a more honest member of the family and his brother might give him a car?

rivermouse

I have seen folks w " problems " who inherited large amounts of $$$ in wills and it NEVER made them better people. You would be suprised how fast someone w an addiction or just bad morals/judgement can go through unearned money, only to become destitute again once they've spent it at will. Maybe he will mature and become a more honest member of the family and his brother might give him a car?
Dont forget that if you leave anything or real value even to your kids that those kids if they have ruined their credit and have unpaid judgments against them wont get your gift but the creditors will...I feel for his only child but if she gets her hands on cash it would be only a matter of days before she lets someone ripp her off or blows the money in some sort of scam..Or maybe goes and pays 3 times what A CAR IS WORTH at some car lot.Or the worse thing would be to let some finacial planner get control of it.................thats a sure fire good way to lose it.