2002 Mercury 50 hp fresh water flush

REDDFISH

Cadet
Hello Ya'll
New to the forum but not new to owning boats ,
I Recently purchased a 16 ft SeaArc with a 50 hp Mercury 2 stroke .
I had the mechanic power tune ,replace water pump ,thermostat ,change fluids & clean carburrators.
Checked compression in cylinders 125 psi all three :)
Anyway after a day of fishing in saltwater i got it home and used the earmuffs to freshwater flush the engine .
After a few miniutes of idling in driveway i noticed nothing coming from pee hole & alarm started buzzing?
Shut motor down & removed cowling .It was warm but not hot touching side of block .
Took it back to mechanic & he said he would have to replace the water pump again .
He also told me to throw the earmuffs away & fresh water flush in drum/tank due to the shallow water pick up underneath the cavitation plate.
Is the accurate or is there a way to plug off the shallow water intake & still use the earmuffs?
Thanks in advance
Mike D

REDDFISH

Cadet
Re: 2002 Mercury 50 hp fresh water flush

BUMP:eek:
Surley someone know the answer to this

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

.....you gotta have a good amount of water pressure at your hose so the engine picks up enough water. You may have picked up some mud or debris which clogged the water intake. There could also be a clog in the TT itself.....mud dauber or whatever. There are posts in this forum that tell how to unclog. You're lucky you caught that in time.

REDDFISH

Cadet

.....you gotta have a good amount of water pressure at your hose so the engine picks up enough water. You may have picked up some mud or debris which clogged the water intake. There could also be a clog in the TT itself.....mud dauber or whatever. There are posts in this forum that tell how to unclog. You're lucky you caught that in time.

Thanks BatDaddy
Yes we are on a well here n the country so water pressure does become an issue .
Guess to be safe i will continue to use the plastic drum i cut as a freshwater rinse tank .
This is the first motor i ever owned with a shallow water pickup underneath the cavitation plate.:confused:
Replaced the impeller & all is well running out of drum:)

Mi duckdown

Commander

Reddfish can you post pics of your shallow water pick up

REDDFISH

Cadet

Reddfish can you post pics of your shallow water pick up

duckdown will try to get photos of it tomorrow & post up .
It is right next to the trim tab anode .i thought it was cast but after removing/replacing the trim tab anode it fell to the ground.
Picked it up and all it is a pc of 1"x1" plastic with square holes it it .

M

Maxz695

try disconnecting the hose wt the exhaust port plate and see if you have flow there. if you do the TT is clogged if not you may have blockage in the exhaust cover or the engine exhaust base plate water tube etc.

REDDFISH

Cadet

This is thr photo of waht my mecanic said was a shallow intake ?Problem is when i try to flush this motor on rabbit ears all the water exits this little square intake?shallow water intake 002.jpg
duckdown will try to get photos of it tomorrow & post up .
It is right next to the trim tab anode .i thought it was cast but after removing/replacing the trim tab anode it fell to the ground.
Picked it up and all it is a pc of 1"x1" plastic with square holes it it .

Last edited: