engine flooding on idle

longshot 1

Cadet
I have a 1979 470 3.7 Mercruiser with a Rochester 2 G V carb the engine starts fine cold and hot. I have had the carb apart and set the float to the factory settings along with every thing else. It will idle fine for a while and then it starts loading up with fuel. I have adjusted the idle jets to get the best idle and it still does it, the choke is wide open idle is 900 RP M's. I don't see where a carb kit will help any. Am I over looking something?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: engine flooding on idle

Welcome to iboats longshot, let's get this over to the I/O forum to get you some answers.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

loading up with fuel,dripping down the throat?<br />high float level, defective float(heavy with gas),bad needle or seat,

longshot 1

Cadet

The float is set at factory specs and the float is not brass, and not soaked with gas. But you have a good point on the needle and seat so maybe a carb kit will help.

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The brass floats are the best if available. You may have already done this, but while your working the carb, drop the float in a small bowl of fuel. Sometimes it takes a little while to soak up with fuel. With brass, its easier, shake it, and if there is fuel in there you will feel it. The only other way to check that float is by weight. Just looking at it won't tell you much.

longshot 1

Cadet

When I bought the boat last month it did the same thing so I took the carb apart and the float was real low. So that's when I got the book out and reset the float. I am going to try a kit and see if that will help. The engine seams to run real cold and I am wondering if this may be the problem. The gas may not be vaporizing properly.

KRS

Banned

It will run cold, if it's raw water cooled.

longshot 1

Cadet

I put in a carb kit and and it works fine now. I would like to thank all of you for your help.<br /><br />Longshot 1