Need help buying a new outboard...

jstaz

Seaman
I am looking at buying a new outboard. Right now I am looking at Yamaha. In my area they are more common both for shops that will work on them and guys that run them. I have heard good things. I am price shopping and right now the best price I am getting is,
2012 Yam. 60 HP $7687 includes tax, Alum. Prop, Box, Cables, and the yahama 5 yr extended warranty
70 HP $8215 Same as above ^^^

Now, Talking to the guy selling me the motor, He states that the new 70 is the same as the 60 except the gear ratio in these newer 70 models use the 90 HP gear ratio/box. The rest is computer changes and injectors that make it up to the 70 HP instead of the 60 HP.

Is the extra $528 for the 70 worth it? He states, "May only get about 3 MPH more, but may get better MPG while at a certain speed (say 30 MPH) due to the "beefier" gear ratio the new 70s have."

I have a 16' 7" v-hull fiberglass bay boat with a 1993 60 HP Tohatsu that I GPSed as WOT at around 33 MPH.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Need help buying a new outboard...

sounds like 60 is a good fit already. I have an old 17' bay boat with an OMC 70. Used to use it for water sports but now just transportation; I don't feel like I need the top end and would repower with a 60 if it had to be done.

You're looking at a 6% price difference--I doubt you'll miss the money down the road but you might miss the power if you are doing watersports. 3 mph wouldn't make any difference to me; I'm not racing anyone