95 Chevy P/U gas tank leak... Updated...

TilliamWe

Banned
I have a 95 Chevy 1500 Reg Cab Short bed 4x4 with the 25 gallon gas tank. It leaks, very slowly, at 1/2 tank. What I want to know is...

Will the 31 gallon tank fit in its place. I am guessing that the 31 gallon tank is longer, and that's why the short bed/reg cab only got the 25 gallon tank. But does anyone know for sure?

Thanks.

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 95 Chevy P/U gas tank leak...

measure your frame rail space against the 31 gallon tank but do it while the tank is on whatever donor truck. also observe the mounting points for the straps to make sure they are in the same place or that your frame actually has holes for them.

also measure the tank filler pipe distance (bedside-tank), etc. it could be as simple as having a single fuel hard line in a different spot that could make it a huge pain in the butt.

personally, I'd try to find out where/why its leaking at half tank...I mean if it leaks at half tank, why doesnt it also leak at 3/4 and full tank??

TilliamWe

Banned

Oh, it probably does leak at 3/4 and full, but once it started leaking (very slowly, very slowly) at 1/2 tank, why would I put 10 more gallons in it to just have it leak out?

I don't feel like driving down the street throwing $20s out the window! ;)

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

According to LMC truck. 95 long beds came with either the 25 or a 34. Short beds with just the 25. They have brand new ones for $149. G/L

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer

Oh, it probably does leak at 3/4 and full, but once it started leaking (very slowly, very slowly) at 1/2 tank, why would I put 10 more gallons in it to just have it leak out?

I don't feel like driving down the street throwing $20s out the window! ;)

gotcha, just sounded weird the way it read out to me is all and I was thinking the same thing lol. so you only fill it up halfway, gotcha :p

TilliamWe

Banned

According to LMC truck. 95 long beds came with either the 25 or a 34. Short beds with just the 25. They have brand new ones for $149. G/L

Okay, thanks, that's good info!

TilliamWe

Banned

gotcha, just sounded weird the way it read out to me is all and I was thinking the same thing lol. so you only fill it up halfway, gotcha :p

Yes, I realize the way my first post is written, it could be construed that the leak happens only at half a tank and nowhere else. But what I meant to type was "my tank leaks above half tank". ;)

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Yes, I realize the way my first post is written, it could be construed that the leak happens only at half a tank and nowhere else. But what I meant to type was "my tank leaks above half tank". ;)

Just a thought, if it happens at half tank thats probably on a seam.

Have you determined the exact spot its leaking?

And how about a tank sealer compound, instead of going through the hassel of re and reing the old tank.

TilliamWe

Banned

I thought about the seam as well. The reason I don't KNOW where the leak is, is because there is a SHIELD around the tank. Which the tank straps go around. (snd you know they are rusty as heck!) So I am going to have to take the tank down, just to "see" it. If I am taking it down, I may want to replace it. But, yes, if it's got a small hole at the seam, I have thought maybe epoxy of some sort would seal it. Long enough for me to sell the truck anyway.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Isn't that kinda like putting extra ply over a rotten deck?

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I thought about the seam as well. The reason I don't KNOW where the leak is, is because there is a SHIELD around the tank. Which the tank straps go around. (snd you know they are rusty as heck!) So I am going to have to take the tank down, just to "see" it. If I am taking it down, I may want to replace it. But, yes, if it's got a small hole at the seam, I have thought maybe epoxy of some sort would seal it. Long enough for me to sell the truck anyway.

If that tank is placed like in the wifes ranger, it was/is easier to unhook the lights and remove the box than go underneith and fight with it.

And since it is plastic, it could be a rub point leak.

TilliamWe

Banned

I sold the truck this morning, as is. I did let him know about lmctrucks.com. Thanks again for that,BlkY2k.

The guy is just planning to use it as a toy/work truck on some acreage he has. exactly who I thought might be interested in it.

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Have this same problem in a '95 Tahoe. The tank leaks above 1/2 tank only. I am guessing it's the seam. I just don't fill it up that high...and it already gets terrible mileage as it is so what's another $20 right? :facepalm:

One of these days I will try the aforementioned tank sealer.

TilliamWe

Banned

Kory, exactly. The "only" problem for me was that the tank was only 25 gallons, so under half meant only about 10 gallons in it. At 10mpg, that only leaves 100 mile range! But I only put 250 miles on it in the three months I owned it. With 20 of that on the ride home!

Good luck!