what year and make is this merc? Iron Duke?

dodge1971340

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Im parting out an real old merc motor and drive I know the marina can prob ans my ? but i wanted to try you guys first.I would like to know if it is a chevy or ford and what year they are. It is a 4cyl the merc tag on the bell housing # is 1949768 and on the gimbel housing ser # 19. the valve cover says 110 hp.By just looking at it I think it is a mid 60s chevy i think they call it an iron duke, not sure but i would like to know for sure before i start parting it out. and also were are the #s on the outdrive its self cant find them. and if any one needs part let me know. it is complet from carb to oil pan, and from housing to drive. thanks and God bless Gary

Bondo

Staff member
Re: what year and make is this merc? Iron Duke?

You've Probably got an old 153cid, 2.5l motor,+ a Model "O" outdrive,.... Built between 1963 to 1966..............<br /><br />Unfortunately,... Unless you can find somebody trying to do a Period Restoration on a 1963 to 1966 Boat,......<br />You Don't have awhole lot to Sell........<br />It's Tooo Outdated for the usual Used Part Market............

dodge1971340

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Bondo. Ya thats what i think it is also but i would like to know the exact year and make. You would be suprized how people fight over old boat parts on ebay good or junk :eek: Well good boatn to ya and God bless!! Gary

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Dodge,<br /><br />That's the engine I got in my 1964 Glassmaster. As usual, Bondo is spot on with his info. From what I can tell it is very similar to the 120 HP except for the valvetrain. I do believe the basic block is an Iron duke though.<br /><br />A while ago I bought a '110' outdrive on ebay and was receiving emails from people afterwards asking if I would part with it for their restorations.<br /><br />You should do well on Ebay!

dodge1971340

Petty Officer 3rd Class

anyone Know exact year and make ??? Please and thank you!! LOL GP

Bondo

Staff member

It's a Chevy based Mercruiser.........<br /><br />As for the Exact Year,....... What Year was the Boat it Came From,..???...

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

how does the engine mount? does it have a front motor mount or does the front of the motor hang in the air?<br /> its not an iron duke as that is/was a pontiac designed motor from the late 70's and no one I ever saw marinized it. the only thing they share is similar displacement and GM manufactured them.<br /> if it has no front motor mounts it may be a renuelt motor of the 80 or 90 Hp version.<br /> pictures would help.

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

So what makes an Iron Duke, an Iron duke?<br /><br />He stated the Valve cover is labelled 110 HP, so I don't think it is the renault. Probably just the same engine I got, the 110 Mercruiser

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

probably. I cant remember all the HP's renuelt made. the iron duke was just a moniker given to a very reliable widely corperate used 151 CID 4cyl. mostly for marketing.<br />for what it was it was a decent engine. nothing spactacular but not bad.<br />was a gas hog for the amount of power but at the time US auto manufacturers were scrambling to find something to replace 400 CID plus v8's.

dodge1971340

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi guys !Bondo when i tore the boat apart i looked all over the boat for tags or man of the boat of its self with no luck. The motor has front motor mounts. Like bondo says it is a chevy and im almost cer it is just year is the ? now. The iron duke got its name because of its reliablelity and strength. and i don't know how to post a picture of it if someone could help me i will try. Do you think if i gave the marina the merc tag # of a boat motor that old they would know? And i did not know renuelt made a marine motor, I learn somthing new everyday on this sight. Good day to all ya and God bless GP

Bondo

Staff member

Well,...... A Few Points,.......<br /><br />Iron Duke,...<br />" the iron duke was just a moniker given to a very reliable widely corperate used 151 CID 4cyl. mostly for marketing."<br /><br />It's Also a Widely Misapplied Moniker,........I've seen Several Places where the term meant Totally Different engines,....<br />I just Don't use it,... It means Nothing......<br /><br />It's like the Chevy 2.5l Automotive engine being Mistaken for the 2.5l Marine castings.......<br />Totally Different,.... No interchangeable Parts,......<br /><br />What you've got is the Early Castings of the 2.5l Marine motor,.....There's really No Reason to nail down the Exact Year,.....<br />Mercruiser,+ Everybody Else sells parts by Serial #,+ You Have That......<br /><br />My 1st post got it down to 3 years,... Just by looking in a Parts Look-up........<br /><br />And,..... The old Renaults,..... I think they were an 80hp,+ a 90hp.........<br />Just Today,..... <br />I happened by an 80hp version sitting on a Pallet, Complete, Motor, Drive, Transom, Everything,.. sitting on the edge of a driveway........<br />I stopped,+ Asked about it,....... 14, or 15 Years ago,.... I forget the Ridiculous # he had on it,.....<br />The Only Difference I could see today was that the Tarp is Gone,+ the pallet is looking pretty rotted,.........<br />And, No, I Didn't stop........ :rolleyes:

dodge1971340

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for all the help BONDO good boatn to ya and God bless!! GP