boat cover ?

jsimms724

Petty Officer 3rd Class
As the season winds down here in Indiana I am thinking about a new cover for my 17ft fish n ski, as I check prices here on Iboats I notice they range from 236.00 to 586.00. While i am leaning to something in the midle of that range, can anyone tell me if a 586.00 cover is that much better than a 236.00 cover ? Does anyone have any brand specific experience they can share with me, maybe a brand that has served well for many years? I did open a box at walmart I did not like the feel of the fabric it felt like it would not last a whole season thanks in advance

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: boat cover ?

Are you buying a "mooring" cover or a "winter" cover or both? A mooring cover should be cheaper and the material only needs to repel rain, leaves, and bird stuff. The winter cover will be heavier fabric and made to hold up to a snow/ice load and should also have a heavier support system under it. I'm "guessing" that the $236 is more for mooring and the $586 would be for winter. Although I spent $800 for a custom mooring cover...maybe I have no idea.

If it doesn't specifically say its good for winter storage it ain't. A mooring cover won't last long in the winter.

jsimms724

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This will be a winter cover I have a mooring cover 2 pc snap in cover

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Well if you can wait Iboats puts on some killer deal's around the newyear i think. Picked up a custom cover for a VIP for the 19'. i was lucky.If i remeber it was a 100 and free shipping..I should have picked up a few more..

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

so much has to do with the support system under it and exposure to strong winds. Some people can tolerate a little pooling if it's kept at the house and easy to deal with. Some boats can tolerate a cover that leaks some rain water, if it has self-bailing or fiberglass decks and not carpet.

it seems to me that the two biggest enemies are flapping in the wind and pooling water/ice/big snow. Long term the sun gets them. Older boats of the right type can be better off without them.