question about Starcraft 1800 SS

docster

Seaman
Boat is a 1997 Starcraft 1800 SS, with a 150 Merc outboard. As far as boat is concerned, are they decent build quality? Is it wood free by chance? or at least encased PT wood? Does anyone have pictures of this model. I am looking for layout and general interior looks. There is one for sale, but its 2 hours away, seems like a great price. Super low hours, all maintance records, but the only pictures they have are of the exterior, i would like to get an idea of what the boat looks likes inside before i make the drive all that way to water test it (it is at their cottage so they will send pictures when they head up there next weekend, I would like to be able to go next weekend and get it, if the wife approves of layout/looks instead of waiting for the pictures then possible putting off another week.) Anyone have experience with one? Anything you can tell me about would be wonderful. thank you in advance.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer
Re: question about Starcraft 1800 SS

I had a 1997 Starcraft 1810SS with an I/O in it. I sold it only because I wanted a bigger boat. It had wood in it. I would not be concerned so much about the wood but what condition it is in. If it was well taken care of the wood should not be a problem. There are lots of boats out there that have wood in them. Even some of the new boats still have wood in them. People can say what they want about wood free boats but they have their problems also. Look for soft spots in the floor and see if it has mold in the corners. It was a good boat for me and sold within one day.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Yes they are decent boat.

I have 2 1973 models, and the floors and transoms are still solid.

I just ripped the carpet out of one of them, sanded off the glue residue, and glued down some new Nautelex vinyl flooring.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The 1997 1800 SS is a fiberglass boat, so it's a fifteen year old boat and all the cautions and warnings apply. It all depends on how it was kept or not kept over the years. Here is the brochure, on page 6. The first pages have construction details.

docster

Seaman

Go Starcraft hands down......

Look at my comments in this post about Procraft (first hand experiences) http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=365524&highlight=Procraft

we purchased out procraft new, and it was nothing but flawless. never an issue. sold very easily, for double blue book. Im kind of meticulous.

Thanks for the help with the boat questions, now just to get some detailed photos before making the 2 hour trip.