Major Fuel leak FICHT Bombardier

carpman

Seaman
2002 115 hp FICHT Bombardier

So I went to start the motor on a run back today and fuel was spewing all over with the motor running trying to suck air into the fuel.

Used the electric motor to get in today, and opened the cover.

Apparently there is a test valve to test the fuel pressure that goes in the circled 3 way. My question is can I buy a coupling to replace where the valve would go and be on my way. Or does the dealer have a fix for this?

thanks

carpman

Seaman
Re: Major Fuel leak FICHT Bombardier

Anybody have a solution to this, the actual valve that goes there is under the motor and I can't reach it. Would like to fish today if I can.......

muskrat

Chief Petty Officer

Know quick fix when it comes to fuel & igntion source you get fire.You need 5005405 manifold.

orbanp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like a T-joint for testing. You could replace it with a section of straight pipe if you want to go fishing in a hurry.
Of course you need to find a proper T-joint if you want to do the testing.

Peter

carpman

Seaman

Called the dealer.....they are very aware of the problem. This will be the 15th motor they have done this year. There is a voluntary recall on the problem. They have to wait until someone gets blown up to post a full recall on the matter.

New fuel rail will be put in on monday. Boat will be down a week and my pocket will be $400 lighter.

AlTn

Commander

nothing to lose calling BRP customer service about some relief on that bill....make a little noise, it's worked in the auto industry at times

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Agree, Call BRP customer service and ask them. This was a known prob and if you're nice they may give you some assistance.

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

most likely will cover parts. Will not cover labor!.
Have you asked your tech to call tech service?.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Woody, it will be interesting to see how BRP handles this seeing it's a fire hazzard.

carpman

Seaman

I have called the dealer.........they are going to handle BRP. In the mean time I am going to call after if some of the cost is not covered.

This is a huge fire risk. The dealer said they usually leak first, but he has never seen one blow completely off like mine did.

When it blew it was dumping fuel into the cowling.

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Woody, it will be interesting to see how BRP handles this seeing it's a fire hazzard.

I have seen three of these over the past four years, two of them were repaired by customer with a brass nipple. The last was a vacationer with only one day left, wanted me to repair with a nipple, he was shocked when I said "NO WAY". I never got a chance to call tech service as to what they would do?. This engine was pre code 57, witch is high RPM, low TPS. Witch would kill the ignition set 57, and could not be restarted until 57 was cleared and repairs made. 57 came from the water not draining from the vst tank, it would freeze pushing the cap up and allowing fuel to leak. I did see one that did ignite, every one got away clean. This might be interesting?.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Woody, I think BRP had control over the Ficht manufacturing in 2002 as the old OMC didn't. I think they should fess up to the prob.

Luckalee

Cadet

Woody, I think BRP had control over the Ficht manufacturing in 2002 as the old OMC didn't. I think they should fess up to the prob.

I had this problem in 08 on twins. Made my own repair and no problems since. I posted several times on thehulltruth but not here I don't think, anyway, others engines have caught fire and BRP is aware of the fuel rail failures but so far chooses to dump on the customer for something that is obviously a design problem. All I got was the old "Out of warranty" BS. The specific problem being that the pressed in schrader cannot withstand the fuel pressure or as they claim ethanol fuel ( which is irrelevant) either way I spent alot of money on defective motors.

The problem with this is that unless you have the problem and survive to tell about it owners probably don't even know where to look. To this day I have recieved nothing from BRP even to tell me just to have it inspected and replaced, which is really the only solution. Of course the real solution is for someone to sue and make it a class action so that ALL BRP engines with these valves are fixed at no charge to the owners. Unfortunately somebody probably has to die for this to happen.

fireman_bob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had this issue with mine. Called BRP and they basically said you're on your own. They're not responsible.
Only real fix is to replace the whole manifold.
BRP SUCKS AS FAR AS CUSTOMER SUPPORT ON THIS. THIS IS A LIFE SAFETY ISSUE!

69 Alumacraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Same motor same problem, did it myself with no problems. BTW carpman, have you cleaned out your C0 sensor yet, replaced thermostats or done a decarb? All things on my list. Love the motor and want to keep her going. Let me know.

fireman_bob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Where/what is the CO sensor and how to clean it?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

There is a mandatory recall on certain 2002-03 engines from 75 up through 175 - the 60? blocks within certain serial number ranges that should be inspected for the fuel line assembly problems. It is not for the fuel test fitting but if your lines show that they are included in the recall, then you will get new ones at no cost.

2003-01(W) is the bulletin number - talk to your dealer.