rattling/tinny noise from 40 hp 4 stroke

trinescape

Cadet
Hi guys on my previous posts i had water pumping issues with my 2004 40 hp 4 stroke bigfoot mercury which as was said here was that poxy little rubber gromit which needs the engine pulled to bits to get at, well now i have a new problem when i picked up my motor from mechanic he told me that the rubber boot on the pivot point of the motor and fixing bracket to transom was worn but i should get a few years till i need to replace .....well today we went out for the first time since work was done on motor ,on start up the motor seemed to shake from side to side a little which it has never done all went well for a few hours then we started hearing a rattle which sounded like something was loose when i backed off the rev,s it would stop ,i took the cover off while going along but still this rattle /tinny noise persisted i put the cover back on and pushed back on the motor and the noise stopped i am wondering if it may be the part the mechanic warned me was worn or if something wasn,t put back together right any ideas guys ? the last episode cost $1600 aus thanks for any help cheers Andy

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: rattling/tinny noise from 40 hp 4 stroke

Maybe it's something loose that the mechanic forgot to tighten.

trinescape

Cadet
Re: rattling/tinny noise from 40 hp 4 stroke

I went down to my boat today as its been bugging me that i could push back on the cover and the rattle would stop, well i was in my dingy looking at the motor, when i noticed that a bolt was sticking out of the cover that streamlines the outboard, on closer inspection i found 4 loose bolts !!! unbelievable 5 minutes with a socket set fixed my motor not happy, this should not have happened but every one makes mistakes at least this outcome was not expensive ! cheers Andy