Kicker Motor Mount

acloward

Cadet
Hi guys,

Been following this group ever since I bought a pontoon. Found a deal no one could pass up on a 24' party barge with a 115 Mercury. Was going to clean up and turn, as I have a couple other boats. Then I started using it, wow I love it. So on with the story. As I mainly fish I wanted to put a kicker motor on it, however I was worried about how far back the kicker would be on the toon, by the time I welded the bracket on, added a remote troll, it would be WAY back there.

After taking a step back my father in law and I came up with mounting it between the toon and the main motor. After a couple of test setups, and trolling around the lake with C-Clamps holding the setup on the boat, we worked any problems out.

A piece of 4" x 4" x 1/4" Aluminum angle, with some trex decking and it works wonderful, bolted across the transom. Just wanted to post a picture as I have seen a couple threads about kickers.

This kicker is a 5HP yamaha, moves the party barge awsome. I also have a Lowrance X-15, has always been my standby fish finder, love it

Everybody keep up the good work and I love the posts.

Attachments

• IMG00131-20120909-1642.jpg
    IMG00131-20120909-1642.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG00132-20120909-1643.jpg
    IMG00132-20120909-1643.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 4

ralphl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Kicker Motor Mount

vrey nice what does the motor weigh?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

That looks like it should work real well.

I would guess the kicker is in the 50 to 60 pound range.

ralphl

Petty Officer 1st Class

does anyone make an aftermarket motor mount???

acloward

Cadet

That looks like it should work real well.

I would guess the kicker is in the 50 to 60 pound range.

This is a Yamaha 5HP 2 Stroke. It weighs 21.5 lbs without fuel. Also I am able to troll for about 6 hours on the built in take. I have not hooked up the external tank yet. The tank holds .6 gallons.

As I had originally posted, I didnt want to have the motor so far back on the pontoon on a remote troll. This is why I mounted where I did and was able to put a connector rod between the main motor and the kicker so I could control from the steering wheel.

I local welding shop who welds aluminum could custom make a mounting bracket for you for as much as I found them available online.

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

acloward,
I did something like what your doing and all worked well at the dock. My main motor was a 115 Mercury. When I would take off from the dock and motor to the area where I wanted to troll the splash from the big motor totally soaked my trolling motor and it would not start. I would let it dry out and it would crank right up.

Just my $.02 worth,

Larry

acloward

Cadet

acloward,
I did something like what your doing and all worked well at the dock. My main motor was a 115 Mercury. When I would take off from the dock and motor to the area where I wanted to troll the splash from the big motor totally soaked my trolling motor and it would not start. I would let it dry out and it would crank right up.

Just my $.02 worth,

Larry

Larry,

I have seen this with my other boats, but when I run the main motor (also a 115 Mercury) I pull up the trolling motor. I have watched the splash, and even with it down, it does not ever hit up on the troller. Thanks for the input.

Aaron

vettman

Seaman

Hey Acloward. Not too familiar with remote control - trolling motors. Can any kicker be adapted with a kit of some sort , or are they factory installed on certain kickers ? Like that set up. Thanks

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

Nice job acloward! I have an 8hp Mariner kicker mounted on the back of my boat, next to my Merc 115. After some initial testing, I re-worked the mount to be flush with the bottom of the trim, so now it's mounted higher than is seen in the photos. We never worry about getting stuck out there now as the kicker also has it's own 6-gallon tank/connector. To steer my kicker motor, if I were to use it, I have a 3 foot section of PVC pipe that snugly fits over the tiller arm, thereby allowing me to steer manually and control the speed (rotating the pipe) from the captains chair. Looking at your setup, I'm inspired to hook up the steering the same way. Thanks for posting.

100_3312a.jpgView attachment 172981Kicker_04.jpgKicker_03.jpg