1973 65hp randomly wont start warm or rev up

dzladdict

Recruit
Hi all, I have searched for hours and cant find what im looking for. My 65hp will start up and run good when cold but wont rev up in neutral. when warm its really hard to start and when it does it wont rev up neutral hardly at all. then mess with the choke a little bit and sometimes it will be back to normal ? i replaced the stator (sticky stuff dripping down the powerhead) and rectifier. The coils all have cracks in them but think they are good because the motor will haul butt randomly when it wants to. Please help im going crazy! thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1973 65hp randomly wont start warm or rev up

Have you checked the compression, what are the numbers?
You need to check spark, both when it is cold and when it woun't start.
Check the fuel system, make sure all the fuel connections are clean and tight. It might be time to overhaul the carbs.

dzladdict

Recruit

Ok i will check compression and fuel connections tommorow. Would this possibly be a bad powerpack? also whats you guys opinion on seafoam? thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You could have an ignition componet overheating, that's why you need to check the spark when it woun't start.
Personally I think sea foam is good stuff if you use it properly.

dzladdict

Recruit

ok bud first off thanks for the help. i did a compression test cold and got 135, 135, 130 (bottom cylinder). Spark test checked out and all made 1/2" spark. I cant take the boat out today so is there anything else I can check out while its cold? thanks

dzladdict

Recruit

i just noticed that the inline fuel filter wasnt all the way full and the gas line has a small pinch in it. also the tank leaks around the level indicator. could this be part of my problem? it will start up but only after cranking for about 10-15 seconds then runs good. idles fine and when throttled up hits hard. I also changed the plugs to the normal style and not the flat type but havent had it on the water yet. it cranks really hard and sounds like it wants to start and finally eventually does. when ran for about 5 minutes or so it will fire up immediately. the carbs are cleaned as well.

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class

The fuel filter will normally not fill completely and tiny leaks around the gauge are not worth worrying about -- yet. When you say the carbs are cleaned just what do you mean? Did you disassemble and clean them?

dzladdict

Recruit

ok yea i took the carbs off and cleaned the jets out. does anyone know what the float level spec is? it doesnt seem to be flooding out but i can check again just to make sure they are set properly