72 Mercruiser upper drive rattle

jodie

Cadet
I just purchased this boat as a "not running" project. It's a 72 mercruiser with the rare merctrans II transmission on the inside of the transom, mounted to the 302 ford engine. After checking all of the oil, fluid, and greasing the fittings and getting the engine started, i noticed a rattle or chatter noise in the upper drive. I took the drive unit out to check alignment and found that this drive does not align like most of the mercruisers; the 63-73's do not have the same type gimble housing and bearing to align with than later models. Outside of a possible mis alignment; anyone know what may cause this?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 72 Mercruiser upper drive rattle

I just purchased this boat as a "not running" project. It's a 72 mercruiser with the rare merctrans II transmission on the inside of the transom, mounted to the 302 ford engine. After checking all of the oil, fluid, and greasing the fittings and getting the engine started, i noticed a rattle or chatter noise in the upper drive. I took the drive unit out to check alignment and found that this drive does not align like most of the mercruisers; the 63-73's do not have the same type gimble housing and bearing to align with than later models. Outside of a possible mis alignment; anyone know what may cause this?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard, 'n Good luck with it,....

There are NO parts available for that drive,.... None....

jodie

Cadet
Re: 72 Mercruiser upper drive rattle

Yeah, I'm starting to figure this out. Good thing is, for a boat this old, it in very good shape, it's a Sea Ray 220 cubby that's been kept under cover. I have fixed one problem I had with the transmission cooler line leaking water into fluid, but now this problem has arose. My drive is sitting slightly on tilt, I wonder if this could be some of the reason for the noise? I have to do some work to the hydraulic system, to get the drive all the way down.