2005 115hp 2 stroke will only start with black wire with yellow stripe disconnected.

boatrun

Recruit
Any Ideas what is wrong? or what is my next step to trouble shooting? The ignition switch seams to test out ok. The black and yellow wire has continueity to ground with the switch off or on. when wire is disconnected the engine runs. I have to use choke to kill it.

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2005 115hp 2 stroke will only start with black wire with yellow stripe disconnect

Any Ideas what is wrong? or what is my next step to trouble shooting? The ignition switch seams to test out ok. The black and yellow wire has continueity to ground with the switch off or on. when wire is disconnected the engine runs. I have to use choke to kill it.

This is a simple one.....it is in your harness or the key switch..this is the kill circuit and if it works disconected you have a bad key harness. If yours is conected to the controller easier to replace the controller...be carefull buying used as you could end up with the same problem. Too many places the wire could be broken...Just my 02....

boatrun

Recruit
Re: 2005 115hp 2 stroke will only start with black wire with yellow stripe disconnect

This is a simple one.....it is in your harness or the key switch..this is the kill circuit and if it works disconected you have a bad key harness. If yours is conected to the controller easier to replace the controller...be carefull buying used as you could end up with the same problem. Too many places the wire could be broken...Just my 02....

Thank you for your 2cents. What tests do you recommend to find out if it is the key switch or the wire harness?. is there a Key Harness? I have a 2005 Tracker Targa 18...what do you mean by harness exactly?..Thank you for your help, I would really like to get this boat running

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Make sure the "kill tether" is hooked up.....