cracks above rub rail

whunara

Cadet
have a 27 foot walk around recently bought not knowing much about fiberglass boats i had no concern about many cracks above the rub rail on gunwale i believe after doing some reading im becoming a little concerned now about structure safety because there are alot of gator cracks the sides below rub rail look like new it is 14 yrs old is this a common thing it looks like it bounced off of some tie down poles throughout its life cause rub rail track is broke in spots but not where the cracks seem to be bought from a dealer with some other issues being resolved by them should i make a stink about this or isnt it much to worry about raced cars for years so was gonna feather back edges glaze it and was actually gonna use white roll on bed liner and cover it up herculiner makes white and i thought id blend it from the top of rub rail to the bend stopping short from the top since there are no cracks there

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: cracks above rub rail

It's really difficult to diagnose issues such as these without being able to see them. Post up some pics and I'm sure you'll have plenty of iBoats members come along and give you some great advice.

glassmaster84

Recruit

With those cracks you definetly want to grind and glass them, them spray new gel on it. Glaze will just crack out again and undercoating wont last. Trust me I have done this for years.

whunara

Cadet

With those cracks you definetly want to grind and glass them, them spray new gel on it. Glaze will just crack out again and undercoating wont last. Trust me I have done this for years.

thanks for the info do you believe it is just gel coat cracks and not the fiberglass under it
also can i d a sand it all down to the fiberglass so the gel is gone the whole side or do i have to grind each one out

glassmaster84

Recruit

Most likely its the glass that is cracked. The easiest way to fix it is to grind the area of the cracks as a whole. For example draw a rectangle of square around the cracks about 1/2in to 3/4 further than the cracks, then grind that area and feather out your edges. Then cut your mat to fit your area and lay your new glass. Then grind and shape your new and bodywork. Remember not to grind too much of your new glass away.After that is done its time for gel and sand and buff.