Deck Replacement

yknotgo

Seaman
I have a 1978 22' Livesay that has a wood deck. I appears to have two layers of 5/8" or 3/4" plywood for the deck. It is starting to dryrot in some areas and is also infected with termites. What I would like to do if it's not something that is too difficult is cut out the old deck, replace it with 5/8" or 3/4" marine plywood that I would like to glass in. I would like to glass it in for durability, and less maintenance overall as far as re-coating paint. Am I thinking right or am I better off just replacing the wood, sealing it, and painting it? I have not done any glass work before, so I'm here asking for advice. Maybe a good book to read or online articles. Other posts. Any advice is appreciated. I am planning on doing this possibly during the winter, but I do not have a garage to put it in if that matters, it'll be done outdoors. West system? I know nothing about this subject. Also, I live in Long Beach CA, so if there is a good place to get supplies, that'd be great to know.
Thanks,

Grady

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Deck Replacement

I have a 1978 22' Livesay that has a wood deck. I appears to have two layers of 5/8" or 3/4" plywood for the deck. It is starting to dryrot in some areas and is also infected with termites. What I would like to do if it's not something that is too difficult is cut out the old deck, replace it with 5/8" or 3/4" marine plywood that I would like to glass in. I would like to glass it in for durability, and less maintenance overall as far as re-coating paint. Am I thinking right or am I better off just replacing the wood, sealing it, and painting it? I have not done any glass work before, so I'm here asking for advice. Maybe a good book to read or online articles. Other posts. Any advice is appreciated. I am planning on doing this possibly during the winter, but I do not have a garage to put it in if that matters, it'll be done outdoors. West system? I know nothing about this subject. Also, I live in Long Beach CA, so if there is a good place to get supplies, that'd be great to know.
Thanks,

Grady

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,....

Ya, Rip it out, 'n put in new...

Most of Us glass the deck for durability...

Some pictures sure would help...

I,m in the middle of the same thing right now, heres what I've learned (so far)
After you lift the deck, take a real good look at the stringers, transom and bulkheads. If your deck has bugs and rot, chances are all the wood is the same, now you are into a much larger job.
I blame soggy floatation foam for all my rot woes, so that also has to be replaced etc.etc.
It has been a learning process, but with help from the guys here I,m sure I,ll have a safe and secure boat when I,m done some time next spring(I don,t have a garage either and winter hits early October in Canada, so I'll have to stop)
Good luck
Larry

yknotgo

Seaman

Thank you for the replies so far. I'll try to get some pictures of the current deck whenever I can. It may be a week or two from now. I have school and work, so time is an issue as it is for most I'm sure. As far as the termite probelm, would it be best to have the boat fumigated? I'm excited about learning to do glass work because I'd like to maybe do some other things later on if I feel comfortable doing it.
Thanks again and I'll start reading.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Thank you for the replies so far. As far as the termite problem, would it be best to have the boat fumigated?
Thanks again and I'll start reading.

You might consider it if you're storing the boat anywhere near a wooden structure, your house or wherever....

Else, like stringpincher mentioned, you'll likely be redoing all of the wooden support & structure of the boat, or at least most of it....

Does this look like your 1978 22' Livesay:
178812d1265493808-sale-1978-livesay-img_0062.jpg

Welcome to the iboats dry dock

yknotgo

Seaman

You might consider it if you're storing the boat anywhere near a wooden structure, your house or wherever....

Else, like stringpincher mentioned, you'll likely be redoing all of the wooden support & structure of the boat, or at least most of it....

Does this look like your 1978 22' Livesay:
178812d1265493808-sale-1978-livesay-img_0062.jpg

Welcome to the iboats dry dock

Yup, that's the boat. Now it has a Ford/Volvo fuel injected V-8 and a VP 290DP for the power train. Also a newer galvanized trailer. I really have been enjoying the boat (execpt the costs lol). Not too many of these around. A few weeks ago I took it 200 miles round trip.