Recommendation to replace Dist cap 5.7L

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Recommendation to replace Dist cap 5.7L

Every Other Year....

summerwind1991

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bondo: I've got SELOC manual and installation information from mercruiser. Is this something that can be DIY? Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member

I Think,.....That this Might be something You can handle SW,.....<br /><br />Just Go Slow,+ Be Very, Very Sure that you get the wires Back to the Right terminals,.......<br /><br />When you Don't,....... It Ain't gonna Run Right....<br /><br />Does you boat allow Good Access,+ Visibility to the Dist.,..???...<br />If So,... Go ahead,+ Give it a Shot.......<br />If Not,..... Maybe you otta Wait til you get a Full,+ Complete Tune Up from a Tech.......<br /><br />Actually,..... Getting a Full,+ Complete Tune Up from a Tech would be Awhole Lot Better,......<br />'Cause, just doing 1 step of a Full,+ Complete Tune Up,..... Isn't really doing much of Any Good.........<br /><br />Is the motor running Smoothly Now,....????...

summerwind1991

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Like some of the other DIY, I went B** Ackw***s. I have already changed plugs, fuel filter. Engine runs like a top, however Dist. cap is the original, 1997.

Bondo

Staff member

Go ahead,+ Give it a Shot,.........<br /><br />We'll be here if there's Problems.....

summerwind1991

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bondo, took your advice. Got it, replaced the rotor and cap. Enlisted support from my auto mechanic buddy. He adjusted timing. Runs smoother except there is still the issue, when moving out of idle and accelerating around 1000-1100 wants to quit. However once I get up to 1300 its over rough spot runs just great. He thinks might be the ignition module behind the distributor. Also found out the boat tac over stating RPMs by 6000. Helps explain some of the concerns I had about running past WOT.

Bondo

Staff member

Runs smoother except there is still the issue, when moving out of idle and accelerating around 1000-1100 wants to quit. However once I get up to 1300 its over rough spot runs just great. He thinks might be the ignition module behind the distributor.
Ayuh,..... I'd Sooner think That's a Carb Issue......<br />That's about where the Carb. Changes from Low speed circuits to High speed circuits......

Buttanic

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Accelerator pump comes to mind. It may not be giving a good shot off idle.

summerwind1991

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think the accelerator pump is working, moving the throttle and 'giving gas' there's not problem. Just concerned of it stalling in gear. I understand, a Bravo II stalling in gear is a large problem, just can't move the throttle back to neutral without damaging gears.

Bondo

Staff member

I've never Heard anything like That with the Bravos,.......<br />But I don't See very many either........

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check carb bolts make sure they are tight. Start simple first.(vaccume leak)

summerwind1991

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Vacuum leak was checked by covering top of carburator, didn't seem to be the problem. I want to look further into that issue with engine stalling while in gear causing an major issue, I remember on the boats initial launch the Sea Ray Service person explained it to me, It was about 9 years past, don't recollect exactly what he said, something to do with the Bravo II.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by summerwind1991:<br /> Vacuum leak was checked by covering top of carburator, didn't seem to be the problem.
Interesting method....doesn't actually prove anything, but interesting.

summerwind1991

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What would be the best way to check vacuum?

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class

Spray some wd-40 around carb,intake listen for idle change.Has always worked for me.