What's your SS?

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer
Just a fun little thread as boating season is starting to wind down for a lot of us.

SS = 'Stupid Score' :redface: :D

Some of these are 'not if but when' like the plug out but most I've seen/heard of often enough that they are not uncommon. For things like not attaching the kill switch lanyard, I don't mean you turned the key once or twice looked down and said 'oops' but you spent significant time investigating everything else but, asked someone to help find the problem, had a large audience, etc. If you did the same thing more than once you have to count each time and add them to your score! :facepalm: :p

1. Left the plug out.

2. Left the plug IN (and it rained!).

3. Forgot to raise motor/drive & scraped the skeg.

4. Forgot to remove tiedowns when launching.

5. Arrive at ramp, no boat keys.

6. Dropped trailer off edge of concrete ramp & got stuck.

7. Prematurely removed/forgot to attach safety chain & had an 'unintended launch'.

8. Forgot to attach safety/kill switch lanyard.

9. Forgot to attach fuel line to outboard or tank.

10. Forgot to open vent on portable tank.

11. Ran out of gas.

12. Dropped anchor without tying it off, or without attaching the rope!

In the spirit of fair play, I get 6/12 including a repeat on #1. :facepalm: If you've got a good one , I'll add it to this post & update my score if I have to. ;)

markheck1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What's your SS?

Plug, Scraped (not at the launch, at work where I store it), out of gas..

but... you forgot leaving the drain cocks open.....:facepalm:

Petty Officer 1st Class

Knock on woooooood. I been boating for 8 yrs now and I still haven't tried out any of these.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Not so bad a 1 out of 12, three year old was playing with the lanyard.

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

5/12 and I still hear about the out of gas from the admiral.

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Well, after boating since I was 3, without parents since I was 18, I think I have done pretty good at 4/12 (#1 several times due to the fact that up till 1988 we had a automatic bailing plug so never had to check that. #4, only once.#5, Only once and #11, only when the fuel guage stopped working and only one time did I have to be towed in, All 4 times before that, I ran out just as I was approching the fuel dock or the ramp dock to leave.

Craig

Gpayne

Petty Officer 3rd Class

2 out of 12, did #3 twice. In two weeks. I've since made a little label on the boat's dash to remind me to lift the drive.

Viking62

Seaman Apprentice

Probably 3/12. Never forgot lanyard but I've spent lots of time trying to figure out why boat wont start only to find kill switch off - more than once:facepalm:. How bout drive off with anchor still out? Did it once. Lost a good anchor :mad:.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I constantly forget my landyard is clipped to a beltloop and stand up and kill my running engine. I also apparently left my motor deflopperizer ( to quote Incoop ), on the stern and donated it to the pile of stuff on the bottom, all around my local ramp earlyer this year. Does that make my score 0 ?:D

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

0 of 12 so far, but have driven with a down anchor and lost it. Also ALMOST could claim the ran out of gas one. I knew I was low and headed to the marina, idling forward lining up with the dock and it shuttered and died as we coasted right into the dock slip and got refueled :D

southkogs

Staff member

Got over 25 years in and scored a 3 ... feelin' kinda' good for the moment.

MWBoatFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SS = 1 out of 12 (number 3 to be exact) but hey there's always time to earn extra credit.
:D

sublauxation

Lieutenant

Personally, 3 of 12 but this spring I just missed dragging my skeg (thankfully I have a pretty tall trailer) It's amazing how skinny a tank can get when you forget to open the vent! I've been present but not the person in charge for about 5 more though.

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

1 of 12, #4, forgot the transom straps.

Probably would have up'd the score, but the boat hasn't been out of the barn since last October :(

<<)))(((>>

SteveMcD

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I attempted #3 and #7 my first couple of launches , but I had enough clearance for my skeg, and my keel rollers were rusted solid, so my boat failed to slide off. Maybe 5A? Arrive at marina, no boat keys.