Fuel mixture out of carburetor...

costy

Seaman Apprentice
I tried everything.....Can someone please tell me if this is normal or I am doing something wrong before I waste any more money. I changed the float, needle and seat on the carburetor and after I shut down Gas mixture start dripping out if the air intake just like before.
It is a 1983 4.5 Hp Seahorse.

thanks, Costy

Urbina

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Fuel mixture out of carburetor...

did you check the lead shots for leaks ???

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Normally there is a float height adjustment. Did you set it?

costy

Seaman Apprentice

Float height adjustment makes sense and I did not know that can be adjusted, how do you recommend doing that please (just bending the thin metal connected to the float?) It did not look right seeing that the needle tends to drop all the way in the hole'
Thanks, Costy

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Check out the FAQS, there is a thread on it by Tashasdaddy with pics

Urbina

Seaman Apprentice

Get your self a service manual they really help

costy

Seaman Apprentice

Yup Service manual is the way to go but I do not know how much life I got left in this little motor and I am not sure I want to keep on pouring money in to it. The guy at the dealership could have saved me $25 suggesting to adjust the float instead sold me a carb kit and I thought that the reason for this forum is to help eachother.

Costy

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

How much more life? lol its only a 1983! I have motors from the early teens still running strong.

I would have suggested a carb kit as well, and I dont think cleaning/rebuilding the carb every couple years is a waste of money at all. Simple proactive maintainance.

That is like waiting for the impeller to self destruct, overheating the engine, instead of simply changing it every few years, when you want to do it.

costy

Seaman Apprentice

I can't find Tashadaddy's "float adjustment" I am frustrated because I tried everything and it does not seam to work and in the mean time I got fuel mixture coming out of everywhere including bolts behind the engine the motor bowl is completely covered in fuel mixture.
I got fuel mixture on the garage floor it looks like a bloody pig.
What are the lead shots?
But the motor is working perfect when in use, I got stock (forgot to rase the center board on my sail boat) and this little engine fought for 20 minutes at max throttle to loosen me up (it did not because of low tide) and it looked great all the way I JUST WANT IT TO STOP BLEEDING AFTER I SHUT IT OFF.
Thanks, Costy

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you're not setting the float level properly.

Urbina

Seaman Apprentice

Get yourself a service manual it will tell you how to trouble shoot your problem.

Are your gaskets good ???

costy

Seaman Apprentice

The fuel in the engine bowl might be from tilting, today I was playing with the cab. Float and it is getting better though when the engine shuts down (I let it run out of gas) it spits fuel one time through the air intake and then it is ok. Looks like I need to get the right float adjustment and then I think I'll be fine. are the two pin holes in the lower part of the engine supposed to always leak whatever fuel is left somewhere in the motor I am talking about the two small holes that when the engine is running whiter squirt out of.
Thanks, Costy