1965 Mercury 110 9.8 HP, lower unit issues after trying to remove propeller seal

xthor24

Recruit
Hello,
I have a 1965 Mercury 110 9.8 HP, went in to replace the propeller seal, i got the bearing carrier nut out, and when trying to tap out the propeller shaft after removing this bearing carrier nut, I could get no further. after giving up because nothing was moving, i noticed the propeller shaft would now not find reverse, only forward and neutral.

Is there a trick to getting at the prop shaft seals, or removing the propeller shaft and bearing carrier deal?
Do i need to do anything to the top half of the lower unit to get that propeller shaft out? The bearing carrier itself is not stuck in place as it spins in place.

Also, how terrible is it that I can only get neutral and forward to lock in when I spin the propeller shaft after I had done some light tapping on softgrip vice attached to the end propeller shaft?

The motor ran great up to this point. any help would be much appreciated.

mrteeman

Cadet
Re: 1965 Mercury 110 9.8 HP, lower unit issues after trying to remove propeller seal

clamp propeller shaft in vice between 2 wooden blocks in vice and strik with a soft face mallet halfway between anti cavitation plate and the bearing carrier cavity. the lower unit should seperate from prop shaft and bearing carrier. If it is still stuck , do the same after heating the lower unit around the bearing carrier.

reverse is somehow hard to get into. I think it requires turning the engine shaft as well and then find the point that the gears will engage. Don;'t force it, i'm afraid i ruined my shift cam with that and now it won't stay in reverse anymore.