needle bearings under water impeller

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
O.K. I now encountered yet another problem while rebuilding my lower unit. Again, my motor is a 1962 Evinrude Lark 40 H.P. Model # 35933. Electric shift. I am puting this back together, and I noticed that beneath the water pump impeller plate, there is a seal with rubber inside of it to surround the drive shaft, and there are needle bearings below that. Well, the needle bearings all fell out when I pulled the drive shaft. I got the seal removed, but I cannot see how to get the housing or cage (or whatever it is called ) out that hold the needle bearings, or can I just put the needle bearings back in place into the cage with grease or oil to hold them in place 'til the drive shaft goes back in? The holder is in great shape with no damage or wear. That thing is down in there a ways, and it seems like impossible to get it out. Any tips or help is appreciated. I have a shop manual, but it just shows a picture of the needle bearings, no text.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: needle bearings under water impeller

You are going to have to open up the gearcase fully now unfortunately.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Are you sure that you have all of the bearings?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you need a new upper d/s bearing. They shouldn't fall apart if you pull the d/s out.

iggyw1

First off, I have the entire lower unit already apart as I am rebuilding that (bad electro magnet). I do have all of the needle bearings. My problem is, I guess, how the heck do you get the old bearing holder out??? I can get a new d/s bearing, but I won't be able to get the new one in unless I can get the old one out. Cannot see how to get to it from the top or bottom.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Special tool 309916. It is just a shaft that will go through the gearcase, but not the bearing. The difference in sizes is small. OR, use a grinding stone in a Dremel and grind through one side of the remaining shell and it will fall out.

You really should check that upper gearcase section for being bent. That is usually the reason for a worn bearing, and a broken shaft if allowed to continue. You check it on a surface plate with a dial indicator (checking for paralellism). Any machine shop can do it for you in a matter of minutes.

EDIT: Yes, the bearing is worn, or it wouldn't have fallen apart.

iggyw1

I did get the bearing holder out with a dremmel bit like you suggested. I took the housing in and had it checked at a small shop here and they said it is ok. The drive shaft was also inspected and it is true as well. I think the bearings came apart due to the holder being very rusty! It practicaly fell apart once I got it out due to rust. The needle bearings themselves looked o.k., but the top ring on the carrier (bearing cage) was rusted out and warped, thereby giving the bearings a way to move out of place and loosen up in the carrier/ Probably a bad seal which is just over the needle bearings. That is being replaced too.

Thanks for your input. It really helped me out. I received my service manual yesterday, and it will be very helpful once I get all of the parts delivered. It will be very helpful in getting my motor put back together. I saw that special tool mentioned in the book too. The real reason I took the motor lower unit was to replace the forward electro magnet. It and the clutch hub were eaten up bad. Quite expensive but I felt the motor is still worth putting $500 into her. She starts right up when cold, and on (1) R.P.M. when warned up and runs perfect! Water pump impeller AND housing were shot as well. Glad I caught that in time.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Make sure and let us know how your repairs turn out.

iggyw1

Will do. It may be awhile as I'm waiting for some parts to come in. I just hope I don't miss out on the fall perch run here in Michigan which will peak at the end of Sept.

EDIT: Quick note here. I know that in my first post on this thread I sated that the bearing holder was in great condition. Well, that's because it LOOKED to be in great condition. It looked really good until I actually went to remove it. It fell apart due to rust! Could not tell from looking at it from the top with a flashlight. Goes to show you that some things on a motor may appear to be in good shape when they are not. We need to realy look into things and test them out in some way to make sure they are o.k. Didn't mean to mis-lead or B.S. anyone that was trying to help me out with this.

iggyw1

Got all of my parts in, and rebuilt the motor today. Looks real good as I bench tested everything. The real story will be told on Saturday morning when I take it out the the lake. Wish me luck! I rebuilt the entire lowere unit (gear box) on an electric shift 1962 40 HP Evinrude. Learned a lot!!

yorab

Ensign

Great, definitely let us know how it works.

I had some problems with my electromagnet as well. There was some pitting in the epoxy that covers the windings. I believe that was your original problem from another post. My pitting issue wasn't terribly bad, so I tried to repair with fresh epoxy. I haven't used the motor enough to know if the repair is robust, but it is just a suggestion for anybody who stumbles upon this thread in the future.

Attachments

• Coil.jpg
    Coil.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Gear Reassembly 035.jpg
    Gear Reassembly 035.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Gear Reassembly 043.jpg
    Gear Reassembly 043.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 0

iggyw1

In my case, the apoxy was GONE, and the windings were torn apart. The clutch hub was gouged up like a rotor would be on an auto if you let bed breaks go for awhile. The major problem I had when I put it all back together was trying to get the wire guard back in correctly to protect the wires of the magnets. (hardly no room in there for placing it ) I THINK I got them in there right, but I am concerned about that issue a bit.