Rebuild or Get a new outboard?

artilarygoboom

Seaman Apprentice
so ive been having problems with my 80hp mercury with it stalling when i put it in gear and having a hard time starting, I jus figured it need the carbs to be cleaned and out and rebuilt so i did that and still had the same problems, checked the spark and everything was in check. Then i decided to do a compression check which was the first thing i should of done but didnt, and come to find out my number 2 cylinder is only reading about 80-85 psi while the other 3 are reading 120psi. Im pretty mechanicly inclined and have rebuilt motors in the past but i found a merc 115 with controls for 700 and it runs amazing, I am pretty sure I am going to get the 115 instead of rebuilding the 80hp but would like some opinions and maybe some other peoples experience with mercury 115's.

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Rebuild or Get a new outboard?

Hell yeah, get the 115. Let some other schmuck rebuild the 80. Life is too short.

narvlebenoit

Petty Officer 1st Class

agree with Dave1027 for 700 darn good price jump on it

Mi duckdown

Commander

NO Brainer. If that NEW motor is as good as you said.
Plus you could part out the old motor. lowerend and other components are worth quite a bit to the right person. On ebay, or craigslist.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

did you take a compression test on the 115HP motor? BTW- A lot of your 850 parts may interchange, depending on the years of the motor.

artilarygoboom

Seaman Apprentice

Yea compression was 115-120 across all 6 cylinders, I wouldn't think the 4cylinder parts would fit on the 6 cylinde?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

An inline six is simply an inline 4 with two more cylinders. If the years are close, carbs will fit, starters will fit, gearcases, midsections, transom brackets and with mods, ign systems will interchange.