I've been too embarassed to ask this, but curiosity has gotten the better of me.

projo198

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm not sure if this is OMC specific, but on the back of my boat (88 Bayliner Capri) towards the starboard side next to the lower unit there is a wire leading to a little lever situated at the bottom of my boat.

What is it and what does it do?

I am guessing maybe it's a killswitch for the motor if you run aground?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: I've been too embarassed to ask this, but curiosity has gotten the better of me.

I'm not sure if this is OMC specific, but on the back of my boat (88 Bayliner Capri) towards the starboard side next to the lower unit there is a wire leading to a little lever situated at the bottom of my boat.

What is it and what does it do?

I am guessing maybe it's a killswitch for the motor if you run aground?

Ayuh,.... It sounds like a speedometer pitot tube...

projo198

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: I've been too embarassed to ask this, but curiosity has gotten the better of me.

Ok, I'll take a closer look this weekend. It looks like a lever on a wire to me.

southkogs

Staff member

This is a pitot for a speedometer:
Pitot.jpg

Reinell-BRXL-191

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's a pitot tube, the wire is actually a hose.. and as water pushes in to the front of it, it compresses the air in the tube, that compression expands a coil in the speedometer, and you have speed indication on the gauge (not real accurate, but close enough for government work)

speedopitot01.jpg

projo198

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok cool, just read up about them. Seems like a system that could easily go bad, but mine's working so I guess I should just keep my mouth shut lol.

Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Post a picture of your "wire leading to a lever" that would work best.

There are no kill switches on the back of boats to kill the engine if you run aground.

Bondo

Staff member

Post a picture of your "wire leading to a lever" that would work best.

There are no kill switches on the back of boats to kill the engine if you run aground.

Ayuh,... The Prop usually does a pretty good job at That...