thunderbolt switchbox, how it works?

ericcn

Recruit
hello all, my name is eric. i've worked on all kinds of engines, but new to outboards. not sure on now the 1970 thunberbolt ignition works. i've pulled the distributor and noticed two pick-up coils. whats the purpose of two, is one the advance or is it like an airplane engine that uses the second coil as a failsafe of sorts? any answers would be greatly appreciated

regards,
eric:

Laddies

Banned
Re: thunderbolt switchbox, how it works?

With no idea which one of the Thunderbolt systems you are talking about, I will guess, the only system that was built in 1970 with a dist. with 2 interior coils was the driver system so this should help.

scan.jpg

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

There are two Variable Reluctor pickups . One is used for low speed operation and the other for high speed. The signal is generated as an AC pulse and converted to DC in a rectifier which then is processed through an SCR ( Silicon Controlled Rectifier AKA a Transistor) that switches on an off and relays the power from the battery to the coil.

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade

"Lightening" ???

ericcn

Recruit

thank you all very informative information, like i said not much experiance with outboards other than 10 hp and below. all points and condensor systems. this is my first boat that i own its a 15' 1970 cobia with a 1970 50 hp mercury and a trailer for $50, just tinkering figure if i do something real bad im out 50 bucks, but id rather know how it works before i bring it anywhere. from my experience things breaking down is about 80% operator error. again thank you all