Easy to change starter??

GlastronSX195

Recruit
I have a 2004 Glastron SX 195 with a Volvo Penta 4.3GL. The starter has stopped working and needs to be replaced. The dealer wants over $500<br /><br />Has anyone changed one of these and if so how hard/easy is it. I don't have the boat right in front of me to look at it (it's still at the dealer) but I would like to know if it's worth my time to do it myself or if it's a complete pain in the ***, in which case I'll pay them to do it.<br /><br />Any help would be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Easy to change starter??

It can be easy or hard depending on how easy it is to get at the bolts underneath the starter.<br /><br />My 1998 Wellcraft with a 7.4 was 1/3 the effort of my 87 Bayliner because of the way the engine was mounted in the boat.<br /><br />In both cases I removed a lot of the seating area around the engine to gain access.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

It would be well worth trying yourself.<br />I changed mine in about an hour.I had one rusted bolt that was a pain.I removed the rear seats and engine cover.<br />Got the marine starter from napa for 120 bucks..<br />The marina near me quoted 289 just for the starter and 250 labor.<br />I'm glad i attempted the job myself..

DHPMARINE

Captain

My guess is it is a compleat pain in the A**.<br /><br />But look anyway.It's a couple nuts on the wiring,and then only 2 bolts and maybe a bracket holding her in there.<br /><br />I have had to remove engines to replace starter motors.<br /><br />DHP

jimbo9er

Recruit

Originally posted by GlastronSX195:<br /> I have a 2004 Glastron SX 195 with a Volvo Penta 4.3GL. The starter has stopped working and needs to be replaced. The dealer wants over $500<br /><br />Has anyone changed one of these and if so how hard/easy is it. I don't have the boat right in front of me to look at it (it's still at the dealer) but I would like to know if it's worth my time to do it myself or if it's a complete pain in the ***, in which case I'll pay them to do it.<br /><br />Any help would be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks

jimbo9er

Recruit

sorry i'm new to this. i would like you to contact me via e-mail directly if you did it on your own. i have the same boat with a v8 and i don't want to take it to the shop. jim_snyder@dslextreme.com<br /><br /><br />
Originally posted by GlastronSX195:<br /> I have a 2004 Glastron SX 195 with a Volvo Penta 4.3GL. The starter has stopped working and needs to be replaced. The dealer wants over $500<br /><br />Has anyone changed one of these and if so how hard/easy is it. I don't have the boat right in front of me to look at it (it's still at the dealer) but I would like to know if it's worth my time to do it myself or if it's a complete pain in the ***, in which case I'll pay them to do it.<br /><br />Any help would be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks

rplky

Cadet

Glastronsx195, I have a 1990 Glastron myself and just changed the starter, it's really not that difficult I did find the easiest way was to remove the back seat & engine seperator/backrest<br />I did alot of research on this and found the best deal was at site listed below. sorry iboats<br />I have had the starter in for about a month and all is well, if you do it yourself the only recommendation is first unhook the battery and then mark each wire with the proper terminal on the sterter when you remove.<br /><br /><br />www.alternatorparts.com

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to iboats jimbo.<br />First of all, this isn't an "Email me with instructions" type website. It's a forum where you have a question and ask it and others reply with answers or more questions. But please, don't just tack on to someone elses post with your problem, start a new thread. Include all the information about your problem, including engine model, make and SN if you have it and people will answer your question. Here, not in emails.

retodd

Seaman Apprentice

I'm not sure how the pro's will feel about this, but I just had my starter REBUILT. LOADS cheaper than buying a new one. Local shop did it for $73 instead of the new price of $358. He wound up replacing all of the internals due to the armature being shot. Just a suggestion that might be worth checking in to...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Bought a new Delco marine starter for around $140