Storing trailer

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys;

I will be taking my boat off my trailer and leaving my trailer out side. Then I will block the trailer and remove the tires and store them inside.

My question is should I bag the hubs or just leave them. I have a 2010 Shorelander tandem with surge disc brakes.

Thanks.....

Ken

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Storing trailer

Any particular reason why you're removing the wheels? Are you concerned about theft?

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer

Any particular reason why you're removing the wheels?

I have the room to bring them inside for the winter. I just think it will be better for them where its not 40 below and out of the sun. My shop is heated and the boat takes a lot less room when not on the trailer. I have built a stand on wheels so I can move the boat a round which is impossible on the trailer.

Ken

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I have the room to bring them inside for the winter. I just think it will be better for them where its not 40 below and out of the sun. My shop is heated and the boat takes a lot less room when not on the trailer. I have built a stand on wheels so I can move the boat a round which is impossible on the trailer.

Ken

You're right. It help keep them from weather checking during the off season which will extend tire life........

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer

It all dissasembled at the moment and the pictures I have are on my external hard drive which I dropped and it crashed. When I have it on the stand I will post a few pictures.

Ken

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you are going thru all the trouble to remove the wheels...i would throw a plastic bag over the hubs and tape it up. For the 30 seconds it will take i think it would be worth it.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Try an upload to Flickr or other picture site and then like to it from here.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

That is nice. I may have to think about something like that. I wish my garage was that neat. :)

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer

Good morning:

Will it hurt my trailer storing it like this......

Should I have more support?

photo (4).jpg

Ken

oldjeep

Admiral

Should be fine. If you are holding it up with a milk crate then I suspect the steel frame rails should be able to handle the weight ;)

skyking897

Petty Officer 1st Class

My only concern would be the plastic bags over the hubs. They don't breathe and condensation will form inside causing rust issues. Just my .02 cents worth.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Don't really see the need for the milk crate setup since you appear to have a tongue jack.