1986 6CYL 2 stroke 90 hp water in Carb- HELP Please

Hello,
I have an 86 Mercury 90 Hp straight 6. I keep having an issue with water in my lower carb. I have changes tanks 2 times thinking that somehow water is seeping in, but that's not the case. It is visible in the fuel line going to the carb. Is there something where the pump could pick up water? Or could it be my exhaust manifold that is cracked? But is so how can it push water back into the feeding line? inside eng.jpgMercury eng.jpgAny help or what to check next? This engine runs great starts right up when I blow out the lines...

SaabFAN

Cadet
Re: 1986 6CYL 2 stroke 90 hp water in Carb- HELP Please

Bad fuel from the Gas-Station, or phase-separated Ethanol-Fuel?
It also could suck in water through the air-vent of the tank.

Maybe you should install a water-separator to prevent the engine from pumping water into the carbs until you have found the source of the water.

Yes I thought that too. So I put in Prem non-ethol and same thing. Will try the seprartor- Thank you

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I cannot imagine how water could get from the exhaust cover thru the reed valve into the carb throat and then into the carb bowl and into the fuel line. Too many one way valves. It must be in the fuel tank.....Is your fuel line laying in a puddle of water? Maybe is can suck some water into it?