tinny transom, plywood or solid oak plank?

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer
as some of you know i have a 1982 valco. the transom is rotted out, and my question is:

5/8 plywood vs 5/8 plank oak? i have some vintage, 1 x 12 oak shelving, really nice clear grain. my thoughts are that the plank is stronger than using plywood? i am in the trades and we always use boards vs plywood for added stregnth.thoughts?
yes i will bond the two pieces, and use some spar varnish all around the exposed wood. plan is the fit the wood, then drill the holes and take it out and spar varnish the whole thing.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: tinny transom, plywood or solid oak plank?

The oak will look great. If you were dealing with a larger boat and a bunch of HP I would go with the plywood.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

2 things. Forum rules ask that you keep your posts concerning your project all in one thread.
2nd the Oak is not really a good Marine wood unless it is White Oak, and is susceptible to rot. Not saying it won't last but the plywood if it's exterior grade, will actually stand up better in a Marine environment.

kfa4303

Banned

+1. Exterior grade plywood is stronger, cheaper and easier to get too. Make sure it's non-pressure treated, or it will eat through the hull. You'll also need to seal it with either 2-part epoxy, fiberglass mat & wax-free polyester resin, or spar urethane. Be sure to mount it to the hull using stainless steel hardware, preferably dipped in 3M 5200 marine caulk.

dkonrai

most interesting, plywood is stronger??? wow would have thought otherwise.

yes the oak is white oak. i got a great deal on the oak, way less than a sheet of ply. so now what? should i just scrap the oak and buy a sheet of 5/8 exterior ply?

thanks

kfa4303

Banned

Nah, probably no need to scrap it. The oak should be fine, but plywood is actually stronger. Most folks actually use two layers of 3/4" plywood laminated together to form a transom. Either way, just seal it well and it should last for many moons. Epoxy is great, but a little pricey and you usually have to order it. Same with the f'glass supplies, but several coats (3-4) par urethane works quite well, and you should be able to get it at any big box store. A quart should be more than enough. It makes the wood look pretty good too. Good luck. Keep us posted. We love pics.

64osby

Admiral

The plywood is able to flex a little better then a plank. It won't split. This is why it is preferred especially on boats with larger motors.

That being said, I used a 2x10 douglas fir board sealed w/ 4 coats of spar urethane, on my little tinny, 18hp max. Plywood would be used for a larger motor.

babbot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Plywood is extremly strong in certain applications because of the alternating grains. A board may be stronger for a shelf but for a transom it may split down the middle of the grain.

aspeck

Staff member

2 things. Forum rules ask that you keep your posts concerning your project all in one thread.
Really???? I have not read that anywhere. Multiple posts on the same question are not allowed, but a specific question may get more responses as a stand alone thread than imbeded in a general resto post.

To the OP, I think you have your answer. On a smaller horsepower application, the white oak should be fine if finished properly, maybe not as strong and not as much flex as the marine grade plywood, but fine for your application. And it should look REALLY SWEET!

dkonrai

wow good stuff here. thanks so much. as for the transom i guess i will be giving the oak back to my buddy, and go ahead with the plywood. i may use some micro lam plywood, it has twice the layers of standard ply. i dont really trust the exterior 5/8 due to the fact it is only four layers. if laminated this would produce 8 layers. if i go with some micro lam, it will have twice the layers so stronger????
i plan in hanging a 20hp motor off the back. i currently have a 15hp there isnt anything wrong with more power :)
dino

kfa4303

Banned

You're probably ok going up to a 20 hp. I have a '66 OMC 20 hp on my 14' semi-V hull tinny. The bigger issue is the weight. 2-stroke motors are generally much lighter than their 4-stroke cousins. While you will probably be ok with a 2-stroke 20 hp (mine only weighs about 80 lbs.), a new 4-stroke 20 hp will weight quite a bit more and may be too much for the boat. There may be a capacity plate riveted to the hull that can give you an idea of the max load and hp. It's usually on, or near the transom, but boats built before the mid 70's, or so weren't require to have one, so don't be surprised if you can't find it.

dkonrai

ok i cant afford a 4 stroke, and i like the smell of two strokes :) the tinny is a 1982, but the tag for the boat is long gone just like the transom!

transom
P1040528.jpg

a little rot
P1040537.jpg

got the old wood out
P1040535.jpg

old benches
P1040534.jpg

some stress cracked rivets
P1040531.jpg

dkonrai

more stress cracks
P1040532.jpg

rear bench
P1040530.jpg

middle bench
P1040538.jpg

had to stop bc of these guys
P1040539.jpg

good thing is i got the 74 johnson running. need to change the impeller and rebuild the fuel pump. its slow going when you work, have kids, making the wifey happy.

as for the transom support i plan on fabricating another one out of 1/4" aluminum plate that i scored.

dino

64osby

Admiral

dk - man that is one rough little tinny. I thought mine was beat.

What is the action plan on the stress cracks?

dkonrai

option 1: see if my buddy can weld up the cracks. as well as the transom.
option 2: marine epoxy, with a small coin sized patch.
option 3: scrap is worth 1.00 a pound....

i plan on using gluvit on all the rivets and epoxy patches.

fishrdan

Admiral

i dont really trust the exterior 5/8 due to the fact it is only four layers.

Why only 5/8 ply, is that what the boat was built with originally? Usually they use 3/4 plywood, or laminated plywood for a thicker transom.

dkonrai

Why only 5/8 ply, is that what the boat was built with originally? Usually they use 3/4 plywood, or laminated plywood for a thicker transom.

the original ply measures 5/8. 3/4 stock will be too thick and i will need to pry the transom lip to fit.

dkonrai

i only paid 400 for the boat motor and trailer.

64osby

Admiral

I saw on an older tinny where the owner welded cracks and the heat weakened the surrounding material. New stress cracks formed with in year.

Your option 2 maybe a better option. Drill the ends of the cracks and then rivet a plate over it with liberal amounts of 5200 between it. There was a thread here where a tinny had about 10 gashes and cracks. The guy did a great job patching them. It wasn't really pretty but very effective.

dkonrai

ok, option 2! it is. it seems there is some options on sealing, marine two part epoxy putty. gluvit.aluminum gutter seal or 5200. i may go with the epoxy putty route and see if this stops the leaks.

should i install the new wood and follow the old transom as a template? or is it ok to beef up and run full width and length with the new wood, i.e. basically fill up the transom with two sheets of ply? i figured it would be really stronger with more wood due to spanning the load and flex over a wider area.

i guess i will leave the transom failed edge, and just install "L" channel or "C" channel over the the old break.