90 amp fuse needed for 470 alternator conversion kit?

boltonranger

Petty Officer 1st Class
I boat an alt. conversion kit and it arrived today. (wagner-dc60)
Nice kit. Noticed in the literature that if you have a Delco Starter it says you need
a 90 amp fuse kit. I was not asked what starter I had at order time so I'm a little confused.
Would like to hear from the 470 club and the Mod-Gods.
Just not sure what to do.
Been waiting 2 weeks through Isaac etc. to try and get the boat out again.
This might end my season because of time.
-br

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: 90 amp fuse needed for 470 alternator conversion kit?

That is a new one on me.

boltonranger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Terry! Thanks for the reply.
Little booklet says "Safety Issue:
MCM470 Series engines with s/n 6902288 and up were supplied without the 90 amp fuse on the starter solenoid (1985 and later production). If you have one of these engines, you have unprotected wires running from the starter solenoid to the rectifier/regulator unit and to the stator windings. If you have one of these engines, and you are installing the Wagner dc-60 Alternator kit, you must obtain the Wagner 90 amp fuse kit part no. f-90a-kt and install it on the starter soenoid as shown in fig. 12. We highly recommend this fuse be installed on all engines with Delco starters regardless of whether the Alternator kit has been installed.

This is the first I've heard of this.
Don't know what to think, really. Have an email into them but it's kind of late.
-br

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Yeah this is what they are talking about http://www.mercruiserparts.com/showSpecialPicture.asp?pn=79023A91 That went on the pre 85 engines without the solenoid on the starter. The slave solenoid fed current directly to the starter, so in that case they needed the fuse for protection. I guess with the starter motor solenoid there was no need for the fuse, but they want the fuse in there, it couldn't hurt.