Hard to shift in reverse

Spenser

Cadet
I went boating today. I have a 92 140 evinrude. Before starting the boat i realized that i cannot shift in reverse when motor is off. I pulled it down harder and it shifted, but with some pressure. When i started the engine, i was able to shift in reverse easily. Forward always works good. I also noticed that sometimes starter does not spin unless i jerk the shifter back and forth. Is this normal for shifter to work like this? What is wrong here?

mark1961

Ensign
Re: Hard to shift in reverse

What is wrong here?

Apart from a minor neutral start switch adjustment in the control box probably not much wrong at all.....provided it shifts easily when running its fine, the clutch dog design does not lend itself to easy shifting when static, dont try and force it. Have you had the lower unit off recently?

Spenser

Cadet

No i had this boat and motor for 3 years and never touched the lower unit (except gear oil change). The control box. Is it the thing from which 2 cables are coming from, behind the shifter? Where is the ignition adjustment in it. I have the ignition in the dash and shifter in the boat side. I dont want to mess up anything else.

mark1961

Ensign

Post some pics up of your control unit (shifter).....there should be a switch in the mix there somewhere which prevents you from starting it in gear.....i suspect the problem lies there.

Three years and no impeller change?.....you are overdue.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Don't try to shift it unless the mtr is running or you're rotating the prop. If you have to wiggle the throttle arm in neutral to get it to turn over, you may have a loose neutral safety switch or one going bad.