898 alt help!!

slyoell

Cadet
Hi and this is my first post here! But have done a ton of reading, there is great knowledge on this group!! so here it is I have a 85 898, sea ray Seville, the prev, owner messed the wiring up real bad, so I redid it all, with diagrams and reading from here, so thank you I have got this far and now I have 2 wires off the alt left over, a thicker yellow with red shrink wrap on each end, im thinking positive out. along with that there is a yellow or light color coming out as well, I have no clue where either goes, all diagram do not indicate, this is a points system according to year and colors of the wires coming out of the plug, looks like they tried to put in a thunderbolt 4, I removed all that and started fresh wire by wire according to diagram, im am keeping original until I get it all running and motor tuned, which I just rebuilt! So any and all help is more than appreciated!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 898 alt help!!

The 898 actually came with Thunderbolt IV ignition in 83 and 84 (Your's is probably an 84 as that was the last year of the 898 series)

You should uncover the wires in the bundle a little bit and verify the color. They are probably faded colors you are looking at.

Not sure what wiring diagram you have, but here is the wiring diagram you should be looking at, and it has the Thunderbolt ignition.

View attachment 898 Wire diag.pdf http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=166975&stc=1&d=1346955805

slyoell

Cadet

i will post a pic right after work, and i am positive that it is a points system, it looks like prev owner tried to add TB4 to it, the wires coming out of the plug are different from the TB4, i have pealed off all tape and covers on all the wires and started fresh.

slyoell

Cadet

here is the diagram that has the identical wires as mine,

2010-07-10_170919_scan0006.jpg

Don S

That wiring diagram isn't even for an 898, and I doubt you have an ammeter on a 1985 boat, they stopped using those in the mid 70's.

slyoell

Cadet

wire.jpgalt.jpgalt2.jpg
here is the wiring coming from plug, all the wire that come out of harness go to the corisponding places
red to slave
red/white to alt
orange to oil pres.
brown to solinoid
green water temp
white to choke ( out of choke is tan that goes to solinoid and to slave
yellow to slave

and the alt that i have, you can see the 2 wires sitting there, coming out of alt is a red it has been spliced and red shrink wrap at other end and the smaller yellow wire, i hope this can help, if not where can i look and what can i reply back with

Don S

Post the pictures, not the thumbnails, so they will be big enough to see some detail.

slyoell

Cadet

wire.jpgalt2.jpgalt1.jpg is it possible that it is just a 305 with 898 valve covers! like i said prev. owner did some strange things, i have just reverted back to original.

Don S

Those work better.

Untitled1.jpg

slyoell

Cadet

Thank you, but the bottom was cut off, those wire hook up to where?

Don S

Nothing important was cut off in my picture.
The wires coming from the alternator hook to the wiring harness wires. Looks to me like they are hooked up where they belong.

slyoell

Cadet

alt copy.jpgi am very thankfull for your help, the prob is in this pic the red wire and white wire are not hooked up and have no clue where they go to, the diagram does not show where! sorry if i am making this confusing,

Attachments

• alt1.jpg
    alt1.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Not sure why your 85 boat has an 83 or earlier engine in it, but it does. Just out of curiosity, do you have a serial number on a tag just above and aft of the starter on the block? That would really help.

See if this diagram is any closer to what you have.

Untitled5.jpg

slyoell

Cadet

This is bang on!! Thank you !!! I must say you have a great amount of knowledge, I personally have learned from most of your post! I will look for that tag