Breaker Point Magneto Wiring

OSGFII

Cadet
I have a 1979 Suzuki DT7.5 that is missing wiring in the magneto. There is a single primary coil in the magneto, two sets of breaker points and condensers, and two secondary coils (one for each cylinder) which are of course not in the magneto. I feel like I understand the principle of how the system should work, but when the breaker points open up, how is the electricity supposed to get from the primary to secondary coil? There are two leads coming of the primary coil. Thanks!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Breaker Point Magneto Wiring

You will get a lot better response in the Suzuki Forum, OSGFII.

I will move this for you.

orbanp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is a sketch:

ignition_0001.jpg

The LT coil, the points and caps are under the flywheel. The two HT coils are external.
When one of the breaker points open, the other is still closed. So once one side then the other side works as a conventional magneto ignition with separate LT and HT coils.
The kill switch would be by shorting the LT coil.

Hope it helps, Peter

OSGFII

Cadet

Awesome! Thanks so much for that! One more question though... Where the breaker point, capacitor, LT coil, and HT coil meet... is that just soldered onto the top of the capacitor?
I can't wait to get that done and make this thing spark!

orbanp

Petty Officer 1st Class

They generally use screwed on connections. The wires, e.g. from the capacitor, coil, have crimped on lugs. Plain soldered connections would not stand up for all those vibrations.
The details are specific to the manufacturers.
Here is a picture from a Soviet motor with similar ignition: http://www.oddjobmotors.com/whirlwind_front_engine_detail.htm
You can see the kill switch wirings on the outside of the ignition coils, to there is also connected the wires from under the flywheel, the wires in insulating tubes. On the inside of the coils are the grounding wires. And of course, there are the HT cables going to the spark plugs.

Peter

OSGFII

Cadet

I found a good picture. It looks like they are all soldered down. I suspected that, because it looks like there's some old solder where wires used to be attached. DT7.5(77-79)DT9(77-79)_magneto.jpg