The Must for Rust Remover

surferguy001

Seaman
Has anybody used this product? I am considering using it on my trailer tomorrow for some large rust spots and would like feedback if it works all that well. Thanks

Reel-hip

Seaman Apprentice
Re: The Must for Rust Remover

I could not see what it was. Hey your from San Diego!

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

For an iron trailer I chip off the heavy rust then hit with a wire wheel on my drill. Follow this with Naval Jelly and repeat as necessary.

Generously coat with Penatrol which is sold as a paint leveling agent. Let dry 24-48 hours. Follow this with your favorite color of Rustoleum.

This processs won't stop rust forever but will slow it down. I used it on a trailer recularly dunked in the Florida Keys.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

I believe the product in this link may well be what he is referring to ... it is available at WalMart ... I almost bought some a while back to use on a utility trailer but ended up with a different product .... no clue how well it may work

Jim

surferguy001

Seaman

Oh cool, I did not know about the Penatrol. Yes, that link is the stuff. It was about four dollars at walmart so i went ahead and got some. Chipped off the chunks of rust, grout it down a little and then applied two conservative coats. Works pretty well. Have about 5% of the trailer done after 5 hours of work...

surferguy001

Seaman

Yes La Jolla near Mt. Soledad but now i moved an hour north to Riverside. Yesterday was my first time back on this site in a long time so i haven't changed my info. I probably won't, San Diego is way better than Riverside Hahaha

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

In 1986 I painted a 1964 trailer and when I sold it in 2006 the rust still had not come through.

Wire brush on a drill - lightly to get any loose stuff off. One coat of Rustoleum "Rust Reformer" - hand brushed on, not rattle can. One coat of Rustoleum fish oil primer and 1 coat of Rustoleum in a can - tip and roll.

When I got it it was solid rust. 20 years later it looked like I just painted it. I'm not one to experiment. The products others have recommended might be fine, but I wouldn't use anything but Rust reformer. I've been using it for years and never had a rust failure on anything.