I need HELP with removing merc 280 TRSII outdrive

EDBO

Recruit
I have a twin engine boat with twin trs II outdrives. the starboard drive came right off like the manual states. easy. But the port side outdrive will not come out. is there anybody out there that might be able to give my a little insight on how to get this rascal out ?

EDBO

Recruit
I need HELP with removing merc 280 TRSII outdrive

ITS stuck and will not come out. I removed the starboard side drive But the portside drive will not come off. It seems to be stuck at the very front of the drive shaft splines.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: I need HELP with removing merc 280 TRSII outdrive

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Reattach the trim rams, 'n use it to push the drive off...

EDBO

Recruit

Thank you for your reply. I have wrapped a chain around it to an oak tree and a come along and put a lot of pressure on it. Then I use large pry bars to pry it apart. I have pride at the u joint underneath the bellows. Use lots of oil. Used in air hammer on the drive shaft at the u joint. Is there any both or something holding it in?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... My guess is it's seized/ corroded/ rusted into the gimbel bearing,...

Worse comes to worse, pull the motor, 'n transmission, 'n Beat the shaft out, from inside the hull...

EDBO

Recruit

Ayuh,... My guess is it's seized/ corroded/ rusted into the gimbel bearing,...

Worse comes to worse, pull the motor, 'n transmission, 'n Beat the shaft out, from inside the hull...
So, To the best of your knowledge. Is their anything else that could be holding this shaft in ? This is on a twin engine boat, and the starboard side stern drive came right out. The port side is the problem. And looking in the bellows boot. There is no evidence of rust our abuse. Just thinking that there might be a bolt or keeper of some sort that might be special application.

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

No there is nothing. It should come off like the other did. Is it moving any? Could it be corrosion on the studs? Soak the studs well with PB Blaster.There is no gimble bearing on a TRS so it may be stuck in the trans tailstock bearing or the splines on the trans output shaft but usually doesn't. Wedge a piece of 2x4 between the top of the drive and gimble housing and run the trim cylinders out. Another trick is with the cylinders disconnected lift the drive enough by hand to slip a 1x1 piece of wood (heavy shovel handle works well)crossways between the gimble ring and drive and let the drive rest down against it. Now lift the drive 3-4 inches off the wood and let it fall down. Lot of times that will pop it loose.