Mercruiser Alpha One Leaking Gear Lube out of Notch

margareedaville

Recruit
Hey guys,
Me and a buddy of mine replaced the water pump impeller and all of the recommended o-rings that came with it the other day on my '05 Sea Ray 180. After putting it all back together, we pumped nearly 2 quarts of new gear lube back in, topped it off in the reservoir but noticed the next day about 1/2 quart of gear lube had leaked out below the lower unit. I looked closer and found that the gear lube is coming out of a notch (see below). This can't be right... Any experience on this?

Thank you so much!

Mercruiser Alpha One Lower Unit Notch.jpg

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant
Re: Mercruiser Alpha One Leaking Gear Lube out of Notch

Did you do the recommended pressure test of the drive before you put the new oil in? Sounds like you need to drain the oil out and do the pressure test to see where your leak is.

longwa

Recruit

I'm also leaking gear oil very slowly and have the exact same notch in what looks like the same spot. I just assumed the notch was supposed to be there.

Is it a problem or some common damage that occurs to these drives?

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Hey guys...here is a link to the service manual that can help you with your issue.... its a bit long, so get a cup of coffee!

http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/manuals/mercruiser14.html#/0

Do you happen to know how/where your speedometer senses water pressure for speed indication (if so equipped)? If you are getting oil out of that location, you've most likely got problems with your shift-shaft bushing housing. Do the pressure test....:D (see page 1B-17 for starts).

longwa

Recruit

Ah, I didn't think about it being for the speedometer. Thanks for the link to the service manual, definitely time to do a cover to cover read of that thing.

margareedaville

Recruit

Excellent! Thanks for the link for the service manual! We worked so hard to make sure everything was put back correctly. I'm so bummed out that there is a leak. =( So much for saving a few hundred bucks.. My time is more valuable!

margareedaville

Recruit

Hey guys - Ok, so I took the lower unit off and found where the actual leak is happening. Before I thought it was coming out of the speed sensor notch, but not the case. It was actually weeping out of the starboard side. The problem was from a missing o-ring.. Part number 26-45577-1. No o-ring, no seal... lol.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Hey guys - Ok, so I took the lower unit off and found where the actual leak is happening. Before I thought it was coming out of the speed sensor notch, but not the case. It was actually weeping out of the starboard side. The problem was from a missing o-ring.. Part number 26-45577-1. No o-ring, no seal... lol.

basic impeller replacement 101.