Lower unit smoking

newbier

Cadet
I ran a yamaha 9.9 outboard with ear muffs.. And it was smoking from lower unit and no water came out of the **** hole. So I put it in a trash can filled with water. Still no water from the **** hole. Lower unit was hot to the touch and a lot of white smoke. After I left the guy selling it did some research and found out that we didn't fill the trash can up high enough to submerge the intake. So he did it again with the can filled and water came out the **** hole. Didn't run it very long though to see smoke. It was ran maybe a total of 5 minutes. Do you think I did damage since it got so hot that it smoked. Or do you think its fine as long as I never run it dry again. I should also point out that I was testing it out before I bought it. After I left he sent me a video of it running with water pissing out. Video was only 43 seconds long.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Lower unit smoking

You might have faulty muffs, incorrect hookup or insufficient water flow. That could have burned up your impeller.

This is an outboard trouble, so I will move it to the Yamaha Forum.

dwco5051

Commander

Was it white smoke or steam you observed? Was there an odor to the smoke? Could be it was just getting enough water to make steam. Lower units will get hot if run out of the water without enough cooling water since the exhaust gases pass through it.

If it was getting some water the impeller may not be toast but it should be replaced just in case.

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree an impeller change is in order.

If you haven't purchased the outbaord yet, consider that the seller didn't know how to run it properly before you showed up. How many times has this really been done?

newbier

Cadet

I think it was steam and not smoke. When you say it ruined the prop do you mean just replace the prop and that is it. Or does that mean a whole bottom end rebuild?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

no one said anything about ruining a prop.

The did mention an impeller though
The rubber impeller of the water pump come with other parts in a kit but the housing is not one of them.
Inspect housing to see if it is damaged and needs to be replaced