Where is the speed pick-up tube on Yam 4 stroke?

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My speed has been dwindling all summer on my speedo, though, I seem to be able to go the same speed. Top end used to be 28 as measured on the speedo and gps, but now the speedo reads more like 18 or 20 (no, have not brought the GPS back out). I am not sure where the speed pick-up is. My Wave runner and other toons had a spinnign wheel on them, but i think this one has a pick-up tube on the motor. I want to check it and make sure it is not plugged.

OK Toon

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Where is the speed pick-up tube on Yam 4 stroke?

I have a 2003 Yamaha 90hp 4-stroke. My speed pickup is the spinning wheel on the back of the toon.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

On the newer motors, they no longer use those.

Pesimist

Seaman

YAM 115.jpg

Yamaha's have a built in pitot tube on the lower gear unit, just follow the black tubing then feel the nose of the gear unit for a hole. The picture is a Honda 115 but the Yamaha is essentially the same set-up

Last edited:

workerbee606

Seaman

I had a very similar problem on my 2012 suncatcher with a 115 yamaha four stroke. I traced the ruber tube back to the motor and it made a loop just above the cavitation plate on the front side of the lower unit, it stuck out of a small hole and was getting pinched by the water pushing it , I just played with it till it got the kinks out and the speedo has been fine since. It feels like a vacum tube and seems to be just a hollow ruber tube that goes inside the lower gear case I guess.