Parts available for '89 Force 85?

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am considering looking at an '89 Bayliner Capri Bowrider 17 offered for $2K with 85HP Force, and trailer. I would offer lower based on NADA guide, but...
if I did get to an acceptable price, how available are parts now for this model? I don't know the serial number, but assume (for now) it would have come with the boat, thus making it an '89. I don't want to get stuck with something where I can't buy a part (particularly the maintenance parts like water pump impeller, fuel pump diaphragm, carb rebuild, assuming it isn't injected, etc.).
Thanks for any advice.

emoney

Commander
Re: Parts available for '89 Force 85?

Most parts are still available through your local Merc dealer or right here, of course, like the diaphragm, impeller, etc. Of course, no different than any 23 year old motor, there will be some things obsolete, but even most of that can be found used.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

i like the bayliners, they get you a boat for a decent price. 2000 is not too bad - probably could get it cheaper since it's end of season, up north at least. I paid over nada b/c my boat was mint, so you have to keep that in mind. If you find any boat for 2-3000 that is in really good shape, it is hard to find. I would check the floor - that is a main thing to look for - any soft spots and you could have issues. Check tilt/trim on the engine and make sure they take you for a test drive. Ask them what they did to maintain the engine every year - that will tell you a lot. almost all electrical parts are available, so you should be OK. Force 85 will probably top out at 35 mph - so keep that in mind - they are not rockets

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Do a compression/spark test.
A compression test is a MUST!!!
Then check the lower unit oil.

Parts are readily available to fix a lot of things.
The lower units are a bit hard to fix as no one want's to work on them.
Most places don't have the special tools.