Painting old boat trailer with rattle can paint?

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class
Okay, I am fixing up my old trailer and doing it on the cheap side. I have been sanding and priming with rustoleum and it is begining to look better. I'm not sure if I should go with rustoleum or van sickel tractor paint. I do not need marine paint or epoxy paint, because like I said, cheap. I want a paint that won't chip easily. I was thinking about using permatex undercoat on the axle because I have some and think it will work best there. I really like Krylon paint because it dries so fast but sometimes I can't get it to gloss because of that. I usually like to use same brand paint and primer becuase once my color coat wrinkled when mixing brands. Any thoughts or experiences with these brands would be appreciated as usual. Thanks, ron

After thinking a little more about it, the rustoleum has a larger easier to use button than the tractor paint and my old fingers and hands like that better. again input from others would be great!

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Painting old boat trailer with rattle can paint?

You might be more effective painting it with a can of rustoleum and a foam roller instead of a spray.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

I have used both Krylon and Rustoleum. They both have worked fine for me but I can get a better shine with the Rustoleum.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

Like tpenfield said a foam roller with a can of Rustoleum paint would possibly work the best, but if you have trouble with your hands go with the spray.

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay, so I think what I understand is that the roller will put more paint on and leave a nice finish. and the rustoleum will look good with a roller app.?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I've done 2 trailers in the past few years. One was and older trailer made from C channel and the other was box tube. On the C channel I used a brush and on the box tube I used a 4" sponge roller. I would give the edge to the roller for a finished look. Both were done with the same Rustolium paint.

emoney

Commander

The key to a trailer, imho, is prep work. As long as you make sure you've knocked down all the bad, odds are whatever you use will look pretty good. Plus....it's a trailer. If it's not rusting as you watch, is functional, safe and fits the boat, anything else is a bonus.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you owned an air compressor and a detail spray gun would you still use the foam roller?

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do own a compressor and a detail spray gun. but the clean up time and the mess I make are more work than just throwing away the old roller. Guess I am getting lazy, or maybe just wanting to be done with the paint so I can recover the bunks. The object of this project was to just put some new carpet on them. The fun I'm having with this has turned into work, b##ch and moan.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Every project I have started since I turned 60 has been one with a capital B. :)

For sure this thread answered a nagging question of how I am going to paint the bottom of the trailer rails. Laying on the ground and spraying paint over my head was not something I even wanted to consider.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

The key to a trailer, imho, is prep work. As long as you make sure you've knocked down all the bad, odds are whatever you use will look pretty good.

AMEN on the importance of the prep work .... for me maintenance on a painted trailer was a never ending process .... for that reason I switched to much less attractive galvanized trailers .... hopefully, yours will last many years and serve you well

Jim