Ethanol

Bob1944

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm told that this 10% ethanol in gas will gum up the engine if not treated with sta bil. Even then it seems one has to run the engine from time to time if left setting. My question is,

Is this true?

If so, how often should the engine be run when it is setting

How long should it be run.

I live in texas so it is not necessary to winterize the engine. I can fish year around but not so much in Jan - Mar.

Thanks.
bob

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Ethanol

Everything ever known about ethanol in gas is available with the SEARCH function, Bob. I used E-10 in my outboards for 20 years and never had a problem.

Bob1944

Petty Officer 1st Class

Everything ever known about ethanol in gas is available with the SEARCH function, Bob. I used E-10 in my outboards for 20 years and never had a problem.

Hmmm, I will try a search again but did not find exactly what I needed before. Or maybe I looked in FAQ. Anyway I purchased a 50 hp merc 2006, and ran it a little while and then it started to run bad. I took it to the local Merc dealer etc., and 2200 later have a nice running engine. The repair person said the engine sat with the E10 for way to long and it gummed up the engine. They had to get the factory rep to come in and do something.

So I am spooked about E10. What do you do regarding letting the boat sit for two or three months?

Bob1944

Petty Officer 1st Class

My repair guy says that even with the blue marine sta bil I need to run the engine often to keep it from gumming up. What are your thoughts

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you leave your outboard for long periods with fuel in the carb(s) it is likely to gum up. Ethanol makes no difference, but StaBil will delay the problem.

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bob,
IIRC Mercury made both carbed 2-stroke and EFI 4 stroke 50's in 2006.
Which one are we discussing?

If I planned to let the motor sit for 2-3 months I would winterize it.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

There are many opinions about the E10 issue and one important factor is climate--the problems are way worse in hot humid areas and areas with temperature swings above freezing. The guys in the cold areas don't have near the problems.

Any OB motor should be run often and gas kept fresh. Running on muffs doesn't count. It should be equipped with a water seperator type filter.

In older motors and boats the E10 ate up the fuel lines. IN a 2006 motor that is not an issue--but could be if the boat is old.

There is no need to "winterize" a boat that sits for a couple months; there is no need to winterize an outboard and there is no need to winterize in Texas. Other than that....

The general consensus among those who believe that E10 causes problems is that it goes bad after a couple months at the earliest. So if you use your boat and freshen the gas in that time span, and treat with startron/stabil, you will be fine.

BTW $2200 sounds like a lot to fix an E10 issue in a 50 HP motor

Bob1944

Petty Officer 1st Class

BTW $2200 sounds like a lot to fix an E10 issue in a 50 HP motor

I agree and that is not half of it. A lot of the parts they tried are warranted. They first tried new injectors. That helped. then they tinkered and finally called Mercury and Mercury suggest various parts. So the shop put them on and it got better as parts were added. Finally they called the area Mercury rep who reprogrammed the computer or something to that effect. Now it runs like a new engine. So I think the local shop learned on my dime. Nice folks though.