Boat Mfr ??

dtnel

Seaman
I've owned this 1992 Northwod 160 Pacer for about a month or a little more now. I am trying to find the MFR NMMA info and any other pertinent information related to redoing the floor, etc.

From Speaking with Smokercraft ( A few people there ) today we determind that the MFR of the boat is probably Brunswick Marine from Napanee In as I could only see the "k" letter then Marine ad Napanee IN as the origin. The gentlemen I spoke with at Smokercraft ( Daryl ) has been with them since 1986 and said that they never Manufactured this boat to his knowledge. His main reason was that the Hull ID began with "BKK" which they don't use. Anyone who can tell me where to get NMMA info on this boat please reply as I do want to make sure I don't overload it Persons or Weight wise.

Willyclay

Captain
Re: Boat Mfr ??

His main reason was that the Hull ID began with "BKK" which they don't use.

The link below will get you to the USCG-maintained database of Manufacturers Identification Codes (MIC). It shows Bob's Boat Works of Mobile, AL was assigned "BKK" to use in the HIN for boats they built but it appears they have been out of business for a long time. Good luck with you search.

http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic1.aspx

EDIT: A search of the database using the Northwood brand name finds an MIC of "BMD" that was established by Brunswick Corp.. There is some contact info listed under BMD that may provide a trail.

Last edited:

StephMcC

Recruit

The HIN plate mounted on the transom of our 1984 Bluefin Sportsman shows "BFFSP759E484". From the USCG link I note the "BFF" refers to Spectrum boats. Our boat was manufactured in Nappanee, IN. I assume BFF may also be an indication of the "BlueFin" boat. I also guess that the "SP" may refer to the model "Sportsman". Does the "75" refer to the maximum Hp rating? The boat was purchased in August 1984 with a 1984 Johnson 70 Hp TNT motor. The remainder of the HIN is most likely the serial number. Is this analysis correct?

dtnel

Seaman

I was actually told that I should look at my title on the boat so I guess once I figure that out I'll post it here. In the process of getting a cover so I can protect what I have left until I get the floor replaced either this or next winter......

Willyclay

Captain

Is this analysis correct?

Close. Read this:

ABC12345L495​
So, what does it all mean? The ABC is the MIC.
The next five characters can be anything you want to assign. It can be 12345, or 00001, or 0000A, or 32001. Whatever you want to put in there except: O, I or Q. These characters look too much like zeros or ones. Some manufacturers use a sort of code in this area. For instance, if they build a 30 footer and this is the first one then they would use 30001. Others just assign consecutive numbers, 00001, 00002, 00003, etc.
The ninth character identifies the month when the boat was certified (or built, I will explain this later) as shown in the chart below. So if it's built in May the ninth character would be an E.
It works like this:
A: January G: July
B: February H: August
C: March I: September (yes it's an I, but it's ok)
D: April J: October
E: May K: November
F: June L: December
The tenth character is last digit of the year when the boat was certified (or built), for example if the year is 1997, then the tenth character would be a 7, or if it is the year 2000, it would be a zero.
The last two characters are the model year. The definition of model year in the Code Of Federal Regulations is:
33 CFR 181.3 Model year means the period beginning August 1 of any year and ending on July 31 of the following year. Each Model year is designated by the year in which it ends.
This means that if a boat is built between Aug 1, 2010 and July 31, 2011 then the boat is a 2011 model year.

dtnel

Seaman

Close. Read this:

ABC12345L495​
So, what does it all mean? The ABC is the MIC.
The next five characters can be anything you want to assign. It can be 12345, or 00001, or 0000A, or 32001. Whatever you want to put in there except: O, I or Q. These characters look too much like zeros or ones. Some manufacturers use a sort of code in this area. For instance, if they build a 30 footer and this is the first one then they would use 30001. Others just assign consecutive numbers, 00001, 00002, 00003, etc.
The ninth character identifies the month when the boat was certified (or built, I will explain this later) as shown in the chart below. So if it's built in May the ninth character would be an E.
It works like this:
A: January G: July
B: February H: August
C: March I: September (yes it's an I, but it's ok)
D: April J: October
E: May K: November
F: June L: December
The tenth character is last digit of the year when the boat was certified (or built), for example if the year is 1997, then the tenth character would be a 7, or if it is the year 2000, it would be a zero.
The last two characters are the model year. The definition of model year in the Code Of Federal Regulations is:
33 CFR 181.3 Model year means the period beginning August 1 of any year and ending on July 31 of the following year. Each Model year is designated by the year in which it ends.
This means that if a boat is built between Aug 1, 2010 and July 31, 2011 then the boat is a 2011 model year.

Interesting information. I'll have to look further into it and get my complete serial number.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Northwoods boats were made by Link Recreational.
Link, as in Jack Link's beef jerky, same family.
THey had the hulls made for them, by several manufacturers over the years.
Blue Fin/Brunswick was one of them. As was Starcraft/Sylvan/SmokerCraft, back in the 70's-early 80's.

They finished the interiors and marketed them under the Northwoods name.

http://linkrec.com/Page.aspx/pageId/31870/Home.aspx

They appear to again have a strong relationship with Starcraft, now that the Schrock family has bought back Starcraft Marine.