1976 135he chipped cylinder head or block, pic added for details

new to site looking for a used cylinder block not sure on exact name for it ,mine is chipped badly between 3 and 4 pistons positions. anyone in the portland or. area know of any good places to check or online for chrysler 135he magna power 2 parts or used motors. added a pic to get a better idea of part and location of chip. please confirm part name also any advice that goes along with repair i should know about Thanks very much! Click on pictures to view problems in red
block motor.jpg

Attachments

• block motor.jpg
    block motor.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 135he chipped cylinder head or block, pic added for details

The aluminum does tend to chip out in various areas of these engines. It is not a frequent occurrence but it does happen. The aluminum does help support the head gasket and without it the gasket may blow-out.

A good welder can add back the aluminum but it may cost as much as a good used block. You can, however look on craigs or the auctions for a decent Chrysler or Force engine. A 4 cylinder Chrysler after 1979 or a Force 4 cylinder engine will bolt right up and the electronics from your 135 should fit too. These Force blocks are only 120 and 125 horsepower though. If your Magna-Power II has failed, don't bother trying to get replacement parts. Replace the whole ignition with the Prestolite system out of a late Chrysler or early Force.

However, If both the ignition and the block are bad, then sadly, you may as well get a whole new (used) engine.

Your engine has the two piece lower unit and if you find a later engine from 1978 on, it will have the better one piece lower unit. This design has more selection of props and is faster by up to 3 MPH

what should i be looking for in the 120 block for block swap out ,the ignition pack is good along with every thing else, motor was running great 2 weekends ago out on columbia river until the block chipped i found a used salvage place here "oregon outboard salvage" in portland or. that has plenty of old chrysler motors to pick off of so my question is what should i go pick or look to pick as far as a block is concerned that matches up with the 1359he magna power 2

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Most of the older Chrysler engines did NOT have magna-powerII. Just to be certain, you do NOT have a distributor, do you? Distributor ignition was also called Magna-Power--Chrysler used the term loosly and a marketing tool. Magna-Power II was a special ignition used in only a couple of engines--120, 55, and I think the 135. It was so poor that they only made it for a couple of years.

Back to you: If you have a distributor engine, almost any 3 or 4 cylinder Chrysler block before 1979 will fit. If you have Magna-Power II ignition, then only later blocks from1979 on will fit your ignition. They were slightly different at the top where the trigger and stator mount sits. If you don't mind doing some modifications, earlier blocks can be made to fit the Magna-Power II or later Prestolite ignitions.

ok i need to identify the serial # and block # on the model plate it says 1359HE ALSO ON THE BLOCK THERE ARE #'S 440010-1 BY THE BLACK BOX ABOVE FUEL LINE, TRYING TO MAKE SURE I'AM GETTING RIGHT PARTS CAN ANYONE TELL BY LOOKING AT MOTOR FROM PICS TO GET ME CLOSER TO MY ANSWERS I'VE CHECK SEVERAL OF THE #'S AND NOTHING MATCHED UP SO I THINK I'AM MISSING SOMETHING ALONG THE WAY,HPIM4495.jpgHPIM4496.jpgHPIM4497.jpgHPIM4498.jpgHPIM4499.jpg

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

That WAS a Magna-Power II engine. However, the coils would be mounted on the head--the bosses are still there. The original ignition failed and the engine was retro-fit to the Motorola Magna-Power distributor ignition which while older was superior.

Very likely, the adapter is under the flywheel. At this point, you have the option of using almost any block you want. IF you get an older distributor block, be certain to get the alternator stator mount as your current one was made for retro-fit to the different top end.

Let me see if I can find a couple of photos of the two different stator mounts.

I also see from the last photos that the engine has been fit with an older pre-76 lower unit.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

102_6645.jpg102_6646.jpg

This is the retro-fit part with five 1/4 X20 bolts holding it to the block. I don't have a photo of the other type, but it is held to the top of the block with four 3/8 bolts and has a deeper plug that fits into the block. That is why, if you get a block that was designed for distributo ignition, get thefour bolt stator mount too.