Volov penta d6-370 oil in air cleaner.

All right guys. A couple of days ago i checked my bilge to find a small amount of oil mixed with the water in there. I cleaned it out and went for a ride on saturday. After about a 20 minuate ride i found close to a quart of oil in the bilge. On monday i Examined the motor to find oil in the air cleaner. It seems to be coming from the black rubber hose leading to the turbo. its a volvo d6-370I-B. anyone have any thoughts. Any help would be much appriciated. Third problem with the same engine this year and only has 230hrs. Bought newer low hour stuff thinking id have no problems but....its a volvo.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: Volov penta d6-370 oil in air cleaner.

I'm not a deisel guy by any mean's, but I believe the turbo bearings are lubed by the engine oil,that hose either supplies the oil or drains it away. Is the hose itself leaking? If so simply replace it. It could be that the seals are bad in there too,letting oil spray through the intake an making the mess. Just my thoughts......Grub

Hey it?s been a while and happy new-year. I haven't been on here since my last post. grub1grub2, you hit the nail on the head, me and my son were searching for the problem and found a rotted oil return line, caused by a leaky live well that was directly above the engine. We ordered the parts and repaired it ourselves, took the boat out for a test drive and there was no more oil. Got back to the dock and the transmission sounded like it was going to explode! :facepalm: disgusted, we didn't go to the boat for a while, finally calling a mechanic to diagnose the transmission problem, the boat had to be hauled, then the motor and transmission pulled, only to find that the oil leaked onto the drive plate, deteriorating the rubber cushions and causing a grinding noise. (you would think they would use oil resistant rubber) got the boat back in October, hoping for a great end of the year fishing season, everything was great and then I had to haul it the following week due to hurricane sandy. :facepalm: the marina got trashed but my boat was lucky and survived with very minor damage. Hope this year is a good one with not as many problems as the last, for everyone.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Wow,glad I could help! Like I said, I'm not a deisel guy by much,but do minor maintainance on them,I just posted my observations. To bad about the damper plate but I think that was less pricy than an entire reverse gear! Happy boating
Grub