25hp Yamaha grease fittings ?

FISHFINK

Seaman Apprentice
guys,
i just bought a 1988 25hp two stroke short shaft tiller steering.
there is a zirc grease fitting on the lower shaft of the engine for turning. when i put my grease gun to it, it wont pump anything into it. i took the fitting off, put it in my gun, and it pumps grease thorough it fine. im suspecting that the grease is old and dried up and thats preventing new grease to be pumped in ?
how can i get it to accept new grease ? can i take the zirc fitting off and blow compressed air into it ? or take the zirc fitting off and squirt some wd40 or pb blaster into the port, let it set a few days, then try again ? the steering is kind of stiff, but still useable.

also, it is kind of hard to tilt it up and down. i looked on the shaft that it rotates on, the tilt tube, and there are no zirc fittings, but two little pin style holes. i tried putting grease in the holes with a needle fitting on my grease gun, but it just comes back out at the hole opening, it isnt accepting the grease.
how do i get grease in there ? i can see old grease there, so im sure it has been greased in the past, i just cant figure it out.
can i drill and tap the two hole to accept two zirc fittings ?

thanks for any help you can give me. i really need to free it up so its easier to lift up and down, and steer.
thanks guys

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 25hp Yamaha grease fittings ?

http://www .boats. net/parts/search /Yamaha/ Outboard/ 1988/ 25ELG/parts.html Remove the spaces and find this parts page.

It shows 1 grease fitting.
It also shows 2 bushings #25 They are probably plastic.

To loosen the old grease,use a small propane torch.
Be carefull the old grease can shooting out the fitting so remove it while heating.
The bushings WILL melt and WILL sieze if they get too hot.

#16 is a friction plate or a steering dampner.Try loosening the screw as you heat it.

I'm supprised Yam didn't add 2 zerks on the tilt tube???
You can try to put them in.
I added some to the kingpin on one of my motors.
See where #13 points to?
Thats where they should be.Try to install one on each side.

I use a marine grade white lithium on the kingpin.
It a bit thinner and seems to hold up better.
I would take the steering csble completly out and clean,clean and clean again!!
The steering tube,get a tube brush and clean,clean and clean again!!
When you reinstall the steering.
I use spray white lithium grease and regular motor oil to lube the cable.
It's a bit messy but won't gunk up as bad.

Good luck on the repair!!

Fill out the profile and location.
You might be close to someone who can help!!

FISHFINK

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 25hp Yamaha grease fittings ?

jerry, thanks for the detailed info and help. i really appreciate it.
im going to find some self tap zerk fittings and get them in the holes that are already there on the tilt tube housing, and hope that does the trick.
i will also try the other tip of heating the steering tube.
again, thanks for your time