Im looking for a new outboard

Matt12345

Cadet
I am looking to buy a new engine for my 24 foot Pro-line. I don't know what engine to buy. Iv'e heard the new four strokes need to be dealer tuned every year which doesn't appeal to me because I want to be able to self maintain my boat.
Are there any engines that can be self maintained without high tech computer engine tuning systems?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Im looking for a new outboard

Seems only 2 strokes oldies...:D

Happy Boating

82rude

Rear Admiral

as far as i know theirs no such thing as a low tec outboard expecially in your size of boat.why not look into evinrude etec!3 years no dealer mtc,still 2 stroke power,way less moving parts than a 4 stroke.dont be fooled though,this is a high tec computer controled engine.

emoney

Commander

Everybody's got a favorite, I suppose, but my next motor will be the new Merc 150 4stroke. Of course, I'll wait until they iron all the bugs out, but at 480ish lbs, that thing is a lot lighter than it's competition and from the early scuttle-butt, supposed to be a really nice motor. I definitely like the styling of it.

And I wouldn't worry too much about the on board computers as it won't be long before you'll be able to pick up a DIY chip reader just like they have for cars now. Once those come out, these new ones will be 100% easier for us knuckle busters to work on because they'll be able to tell us what's wrong.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

OK, you will want the motor to be 3/4 of max HP. What kind of budget do you have? A new motor can be $12-15K or so. Why would a four cycle Outbaord need to visit a dealer each year? Valve adjustment? Something else?

My neighbor has an Optimax (Mercury Direct Injection) motor. He never takes it in, unless it breaks. It had a bad coil, likely from the factory...That needed a dealer fix.

82rude

Rear Admiral

for one thing a opti is 2 stroke not 4 stroke.4 stoke motors have way more moving parts and yes need periodic adjustment.im sure you can ignore the factory reccomendations for 4 stroke mtc ,but dont cry when they grenade.