Questoin: Does this speed suggest appropriate prop versus gearing?

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Had boat on the water this past weekend after it had been out of service for a long time and worked on a lot over the last several weeks to get it ready. Have read threads where a proper choice of prop was suggested relative to engine speed and gearing. Since I have no idea what the prop is that came with the boat am hoping someone can suggest if this setup sounds like an ok combination.

Boat is a 17" bowrider. Weight should be 1950-2000 full of gas, oil, stuff and the people that were in it. Cruising RPM seemed to settle in between 2800 and 3200. Speed (GPS measured) in that RPM range would be 32-35 mph. Drive is OE gearing in a 1980 Mercruiser 165.

Is this enough data to suggest whether the rig is wearing a generally appropriate prop?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Questoin: Does this speed suggest appropriate prop versus gearing?

Had boat on the water this past weekend after it had been out of service for a long time and worked on a lot over the last several weeks to get it ready. Have read threads where a proper choice of prop was suggested relative to engine speed and gearing. Since I have no idea what the prop is that came with the boat am hoping someone can suggest if this setup sounds like an ok combination.

Boat is a 17" bowrider. Weight should be 1950-2000 full of gas, oil, stuff and the people that were in it. Cruising RPM seemed to settle in between 2800 and 3200. Speed (GPS measured) in that RPM range would be 32-35 mph. Drive is OE gearing in a 1980 Mercruiser 165.

Is this enough data to suggest whether the rig is wearing a generally appropriate prop?

Nope,..... I'll move this to the Prop forum for ya,...

In the Prop forum, pinned to the top, is a thread titled "Read This First",....

Do that, then repost in this thread....

jestor68

Commander

Next time you go out, you need to run a full throttle test to see if your set up is turning up in the proper rpm range; which is 4000-4600 rpm at WOT.

The results of the WOT(wide open throttle) test will tell you if your propeller is the appropriate one.

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks. Will do a WOT run next time out and get that data also. Just looked at the post mentioned above and read of the other information required to get a fuller answer. Can obviously measure the prop's outside diameter but don't know how to measure the prop's pitch. So when the time comes will offer what I can and go from there.

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks. Will do a WOT run next time out and get that data also. Just looked at the post mentioned above and read of the other information required to get a fuller answer. Can obviously measure the prop's outside diameter but don't know how to measure the prop's pitch. So when the time comes will offer what I can and go from there.

Ayuh,.... The pitch is stamped on the prop, along the barrel, or under the nut...

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... The pitch is stamped on the prop, along the barrel, or under the nut...

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That will make it easy :facepalm: