21ft bow riders ....how do the different brands rank?

IQRaceworks

Seaman Apprentice
I'm in the market for a nice used 20-21ft bow rider. Something with 5.0 or 5.7 power. Maybe between 2002-2006 . What are some brands I should be looking at , and what brands should I stay far away from?

Some that I have seen for sale locally are Crownline, Fourwinns, Cobalt, Mariah, Tahoe, and Searay. How do these all rank as far as quality and value?

jkust

Rear Admiral
Re: 21ft bow riders ....how do the different brands rank?

I'm in the market for a nice used 20-21ft bow rider. Something with 5.0 or 5.7 power. Maybe between 2002-2006 . What are some brands I should be looking at , and what brands should I stay far away from?

Some that I have seen for sale locally are Crownline, Fourwinns, Cobalt, Mariah, Tahoe, and Searay. How do these all rank as far as quality and value?

My observations are that when you get over 20 feet where bowriders are concerned, things get a bit more competitive. Whereas an 18 foot Sea Ray is a sub par, overpriced boat trading on its name, the 21 foot plus are actually worthy of the heritage and compete at the margins with the similarly priced competitors.

There is a pretty good price difference between a Cobalt which is an expensive boat for folks who don't want to just be on the water but be out there with the best of everything and the Tahoe folks who just want to be out there and have other places to spend there money. In addition some of the brands didn't quite have their act together in 2002 but did in 2006 where contemporization is concerned.

If I were ranking i'd say.
Cobalt (it better be numer one given the price and that the 21 foot was there smallest model after 2001)
Four Winns/Crownline (Crownline is a more sporty boat while Four Winns is more luxurious so I call them a tie depending on your taste)
Sea Ray (An allaround good boat)
Mariah (I honestly don't see them around shy of some 1990's)
Tahoe (budget, budget and budget but it's hard to ignore the ammenities in the newest ones for the price)

haulnazz15

Captain

There is a pretty good price difference between a Cobalt which is an expensive boat for folks who don't want to just be on the water but be out there with the best of everything and the Tahoe folks who just want to be out there and have other places to spend there money. In addition some of the brands didn't quite have their act together in 2002 but did in 2006 where contemporization is concerned.

If I were ranking i'd say.
Cobalt (it better be numer one given the price and that the 21 foot was there smallest model after 2001)
Four Winns/Crownline (Crownline is a more sporty boat while Four Winns is more luxurious so I call them a tie depending on your taste)
Sea Ray (An allaround good boat)
Mariah (I honestly don't see them around shy of some 1990's)
Tahoe (budget, budget and budget but it's hard to ignore the ammenities in the newest ones for the price)

I would agree w/you on all but the Mariah. The Mariah's are on par with Sea Ray in that size range, imo, especially the mid-90's to early 00's which were more on par with a Crownline. After they got into the mid-2000's they became like a Sea Ray.

So my list (with a few additions) looks like this for runabouts in order of nicest to low-budget.

Cobalt/Chris Craft/Formula
Crownline/Four Winns/Checkmate
Bryant/Chapparal
Sea Ray/Mariah/Wellcraft/Baja/Monterrey
Tahoe/Glastron/Maxum
Larson/Bayliner

jkust

Rear Admiral

I would agree w/you on all but the Mariah. The Mariah's are on par with Sea Ray in that size range, imo, especially the mid-90's to early 00's which were more on par with a Crownline. After they got into the mid-2000's they became like a Sea Ray.

So my list (with a few additions) looks like this for runabouts in order of nicest to low-budget.

Bryant/Chapparal
Tahoe/Glastron/Maxum
Larson/Bayliner

Good point, I see tons of boats but the Mariahs are too far and few for me to comment with enough confidence. I think we start getting into subcategories here as well. For example Formula's smallest model is a 24 foot bowrider. My brother in law had an 06 as his step down boat from large cruisers. Point being Formula is almost in it's own class and the prices are off the charts. I recall Formula sending me brochures for their boats offering financing as long as a house during the boom of the mid 2000's. If my memory serves their cheapest boat, that 24 footer, was $84,000.

Also then although Larson is a bit of a lower end boat, they do offer nicer models. I like Bryants except their god awful, helm design that the keep using. Bryant makes a relative handful of boats per year but they use in-gel graphics (no decals) all the way down to their smallest model which to me says a lot. I disagree on Chaparral as they compete directly with several of the boats in different tiers when you get into the larger boats. If this was an under 20 foot bowrider list, it would be reordered with Chap at or near the top since none of the top on this list make under 20 foot boats. I may also pop Monterey up a notch as well since they were one of the brands that had their act together way back in the late 1990's unlike some of the brands. Point being there is a lot of minutia with any given list.

MWBoatFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mariah, up to 2001 is on par with nearly any boat on the water. They were built very well and the amenities were exceptional.

Not that I am biased or anything.

After 2001 Mariah was being built by another company (Sea Fox) that bought the name and hull designs. The post 2001 Mariahs are to my understanding on par with Bayliner. A "good" boat, but on the low end as far as build quality, materials and amenities.

Just my 2 cents.

saintv90

Seaman Apprentice

I just bought a 2006 Tahoe Q7i and was surprised with how well appointed it was. My friend has a 2011 Regal...and I actually like the interior of mine better than his. All personal preference. I decided the boat was weekend fun...and I didn't need to spend the money on the name. Plus it's my first boat.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Well, I'll admit to my bias up front. I purchased a 2007 Mariah DX212 last summer and am completely impressed with the fit, finish and quality of components. In fact, the washdown pump has just pooped out and I chased down it's replacement. It's a 60 psi pump from Jabsco and is top-of-the-line (and tops on cost as well).

Most of us have had to deal with component failures on older boats. I am tremendously pleased to say that every gauge, light fixture, plumbing fixture...EVERYTHING...works on this boat. Here's a pic...

mariah boat.jpg

haulnazz15

Captain

Most of us have had to deal with component failures on older boats. I am tremendously pleased to say that every gauge, light fixture, plumbing fixture...EVERYTHING...works on this boat. Here's a pic...

View attachment 166785

I would sure hope that everything works on a 4yr old boat, lol. The test of quality for me comes around or after the 10-yr mark personally, aside from normal fit/finish issues. The thickness/quality of the upholstery materials will begin to show around a decade of use, and poorly stitches seams, color fade, etc will become apparent. One of the benefits of the more modern boats is that they are increasingly produced with zero-wood, which eliminates a lot of the transom/stringer rot issues from the past. Granted, the care that was given to the boat is going to make a large difference, but after 4-5 years from new, most boats tend to look identical unless completely neglected altogether.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I would sure hope that everything works on a 4yr old boat, lol. The test of quality for me comes around or after the 10-yr mark personally, aside from normal fit/finish issues. The thickness/quality of the upholstery materials will begin to show around a decade of use, and poorly stitches seams, color fade, etc will become apparent. One of the benefits of the more modern boats is that they are increasingly produced with zero-wood, which eliminates a lot of the transom/stringer rot issues from the past. Granted, the care that was given to the boat is going to make a large difference, but after 4-5 years from new, most boats tend to look identical unless completely neglected altogether.

Agreed, I think the newest boat that I'd buy would be about 4 years old. Old enough to have depreciated at a good clip, but new enough that it is still in line with ultra slow progressing marine technology. I can't believe my sig boat is 9 years old now since time is flying by but as it is it's going to be 20 years before any wear shows up given the zero wear and tear after 9 years. Even the side has yet to touch a dock due to midship cleats and fender use. Given our freshwater, lake use, if a person can't keep a boat looking good for 10 years at minimum, they aren't using even common sense, being the lowest form of sense. As for the wood topic, I have no issues with wood and actually the properties of wood in a boat are positive and difficult to replicate. Since my boats always stay in new or near new condition, I welcome wood in any boat I have. Even my 28 year old bowrider made with a lot of wood is in near new condition. Since I wouldn't buy an old boat, I don't care about wood content or rot. I don't view lack of wood in a new boat as a benefit for me but instead a benefit for the guy who owns it after the guy after me neglected it. In newer boats to me wood is good.

Also, keep in mind as I mentioned before comparing under 20 footers to over 20 footers isn't applicable for many brands but a select few that appoint their small boats just like their large boats. Someone saying I have an under 20 foot x brand and my friend has an under 20 foot x brand doesn't have a lot to do with the 24 foot same x brand. Go to the dealer and look at an under 20 foot Sea Ray and you'll wonder why they have such a vaunted name given the sorry POS you see then be wowed at how nice their large models are and understand. I like the Sea Ray example because their small boats are the most egregious example of marketing over form. The Sea Ray is to me like the Toyota/Lexus example where you start with a small one that is basic, they hook you then you move to a larger Lexus version. Except in the case of Sea Ray instead of the small one being a no frills reliable Toyota, it's a no frills Toyota with a Lexus price tag. Other brands make it simple and give you either a small Lexus or a larger one especially in that 2002-2006 era. You pay a Lexus price but actually get a Lexus.

haulnazz15

Captain

I agree on SeaRay, which is why I put them closer to the bottom overall in this size category (18-21'). When you get into the 26'+ boats, Sea Ray isn't quite such a slouch, but still mid-tier. Not until you get into 33'+ cruisers do they move past mid-grade, and even then it's iffy.

As for the wood, I agree and disagree with you. While I have no issues with wood in general, as it will last a long time assuming it is properly encased in fiberglass, it's just one more thing to look after. The composites that Cobalt, et al, use today eliminate the issue altogether. The first thing we recommend to those buying a boat over 7-8yrs old is generally check the transom/floor/stringers for rot. With the newer technology, it makes that issue non-existent and makes the hull structure less of a concern.

Case in point: My 1976 Mart Twain has been trailered its entire life. The previous owner bought it new and maintained the boat with amazing care. The hull itself has very few blemishes, and all are below the waterline. It has the original gelcoat/interior vinyl/seats. However, we still had to repair the transom due to rot from a leaking transom seal. All the best care in the world won't necessarily prevent wood rot to vital areas.

jclem

Cadet

Bryant/Chapparal
Tahoe/Glastron/Maxum
Larson/Bayliner

Seriously, you think Larson are similar quality to Bayliner? I own a Larson and I've had experience with Bayliners, Larson's are far superior. When part of the Genmar family Larson's were a step up from Glastron, closer to the Four Winns I'd say. Of course everyone has their opinion, and I can respect that.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Easy there jclem, understand that haulnazz15 isn't saying that Larson is a poor brand in fact just the opposite, Bayliner Makes a fine boat this last decade, and I happen to agree with him, of course a lot of this has to do with educating people that the make of the boat was not the issue so much as the care and maintenance was, Larson is a fine boat but so is Bayliner....NOW.

I can't add much other then that I think the list that has been given is right on par and not surprisingly given those that have posted.

As for Formula, its in a class unto its own, Crownline is definitely more sporty and Four Winns are more family oriented, Formula would be more sportier then Crownline and just plain fast, but the other side is that the Formula has a deeper Hull and therefore not as happy sitting idle at the tie up, get her to 60 MPH and its a whole different animal where as the Crownline really isn't happy at that speed, if it can get there.

Also I would put Mariahs just below Crownline in Quality but in the same class as Crownline as far as Sporty Bow Riders, very nice boats but not as popular, a little harder to find but always seem to do well in areas where Crownlines do, when I was shopping for my 2nd boat it was between Crownline and Mariah.

You really cannot hammer Cobalt, they have the luxurious side of the equation combined with pure quality, sort of like buying a Cadillac on the water, I went for the Camaro, the Formula would be the Corvette.

haulnazz15

Captain

Easy there jclem, understand that haulnazz15 isn't saying that Larson is a poor brand in fact just the opposite, Bayliner Makes a fine boat this last decade, and I happen to agree with him, of course a lot of this has to do with educating people that the make of the boat was not the issue so much as the care and maintenance was, Larson is a fine boat but so is Bayliner....NOW.

Exactly what I was saying, it was no knock on one boat or another.

You really cannot hammer Cobalt, they have the luxurious side of the equation combined with pure quality, sort of like buying a Cadillac on the water, I went for the Camaro, the Formula would be the Corvette.

Good analogy. I love the innovation and smooth lines Cobalt uses, and their build quality appears to be second to none. The Formulas are definitely more speed-oriented like a Corvette. The first time I saw a Crownline LPX I was stunned; quite the mean-looking boat. Unfortunately, the first LPX I saw was a full black hull w/black/white interior and I can imagine the pain they must have felt when touching any part of that boat in the sun, lol.

IQRaceworks

Seaman Apprentice

Bryant/Chapparal
Tahoe/Glastron/Maxum
Larson/Bayliner

Thanks for all of the info guys. It gives me some ideas as far as what brands I need to start looking at.

I've also recently seen some used VIP and Rinker boats for sale. Where do those brands go on the scale of best to worst?

MJG24

Seaman

Thanks for all of the info guys. It gives me some ideas as far as what brands I need to start looking at.

I've also recently seen some used VIP and Rinker boats for sale. Where do those brands go on the scale of best to worst?

Not sure about VIP, but I'd put Rinker right in the middle of the rankings. I see a lot of Rinker Bowriders and they are a good boat.

haulnazz15

Captain

VIP is generally around the Glastron/Maxum in the 90's-era. I'm not sure about their current lineup. Rinker is a very nice boat in the larger cruisers, but I'd put them around the Sea Ray's and Bryant/Chapparals on my list.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Seriously, you think Larson are similar quality to Bayliner? I own a Larson and I've had experience with Bayliners, Larson's are far superior. When part of the Genmar family Larson's were a step up from Glastron, closer to the Four Winns I'd say. Of course everyone has their opinion, and I can respect that.

No knock against Larson. That said if you haven't owned and experience over the longterm an upscale brand, you won't appreciate the differences. Larson is a good, solid everyman boat.

As for Formula, its in a class unto its own, Crownline is definitely more sporty and Four Winns are more family oriented, Formula would be more sportier then Crownline and just plain fast, but the other side is that the Formula has a deeper Hull and therefore not as happy sitting idle at the tie up, get her to 60 MPH and its a whole different animal where as the Crownline really isn't happy at that speed, if it can get there.

For the newest boats, it is almost hard to find a bad boat but in 2002 is wasn't. I mentioned my brother in law had a 24' Formula a 2006 If I recall, with an MPI Big Block and amazingly it was a 48 mph boat. They are just so darn heavy and built for comfort.

When I see a Cobalt, it's almost alway on big water and 95% of the time it's an old guy driving. The youngest person I know who owns a newer Cobalt is 49 years old and only because his dad gave it to him and not surprisingly it is on big water.

haulnazz15

Captain

When I see a Cobalt, it's almost alway on big water and 95% of the time it's an old guy driving. The youngest person I know who owns a newer Cobalt is 49 years old and only because his dad gave it to him and not surprisingly it is on big water.

That's cause the old guys are the only ones who can afford the $50K price tag for an entry-level Cobalt, lol. The 232WSS/242WSS are some of the sharpest looking runabouts, imo, but with a price of over $70K new, that buys a lot of boat from a mid-tier brand.